In the few minutes I have here is my rant.   I have 5 years working in and managing
an independent bookstore.  I have been a public librarian for 5 years and a School
Librarian since September.

Libraries are not bookstores.  Their missions are completely different.
Bookstores exist to make a profit. If they happen to provide education and culture
along the way isn't that nice.  If they don't make a profit, they don't exist.
Witness the incredible disappearing independent bookstore in the face of the
superstores everyone has been admiring so much.

Let us learn from the mistakes of the past.  In the 1980's public libraries looked
to the chain bookstore for inspiration. The result was merchandised shelving
(making it impossible to find specific books) and multiple copies of best sellers.
Books that were weeded to make room because those spare copies of Socrates haven't
circed in a few years.  The chain bookstores those libraries have modeled
themselves after are themselves in trouble.  People were not finding what they
wanted. Which brings us to the present incarnation of the superstore with its
concept of in-depth stock.

These are terrific but since their mission is to make a profit and not to stock
their shelves according to community needs there are big holes in their
collections. (Oops, did I say collections? I meant stock)

For example. Poetry.  Repeat after me. Poetry does not sell.

I went into 5 bookstores in the Washington DC area looking for Liz Rosenberg's
Earth-Shattering Poems .  Never had it stock.  Studies have shown that people chose
many of their selections by browsing.  What does it mean to have entire genres
ignored?  It really doesn't matter, because bookstores are not libraries.

Oh and there have been studies done on improving library service.  Customer
service, carpets, lighting, comfortable chairs.  If we had the money who wouldn't
renovate?  Libraries let you take the books home with you, free.

The staff at a bookstore are helpful because they want to sell books.  That is
certainly not the same as a skilled reference interview and bibliographic
instruction.  I do think that an excellent bookseller is capable of excellent
reader's reference service.  I expect the same if not more from a librarian.

The bottom line is that I find it beyond odd to find an article in American
Libraries (the house organ of the organization I pay dues to, espousing the
philosophy that it is alright for a clerk paid 7.50 an hour to provide reference
service.  It's not that we want to keep all the fun reference question to ourselves
but often the customers themselves are not clear about what they want.  This is
what I was trained for.  If a partime helper steered the customer (patron) in the
wrong direction, will they ever come back?

Thanks  Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek, Librarian
School for Children
Bank Street College of Education