Carolyn's question on books for boys is an especially good one,
especially in light of the advances made to providing information
for/about girls.  I have noticed over the years that either authors are
not writing "straight from the hips" materials that the boys need
information on, or, publishers are very reluctant to support it.  Boys
and Sex (Dell, I think, and well reviewed by libarians) wouldn't work
with the groups I have dealt with.Only 1 title have I found that was
what I was being asked by boys, by Sol Gordon.

I recently did a search for what kinds of information is available on
the Internet and, guess what, I found very little that was not really
adult porn sites.  The ones I did find, too, were like the old "sex
education" books we saw in the 1950s - descriptive, using technical
terms, illustrations usually limited to a few drawings.

I have had a son of my own, have been a team leader in Sexuality
Education in two schools, and someone that the boys find easy to talk to
(diplomatic and confidential).  So I am aware that we continue to do a
disservice by not asking publishers to provide us materials or by not
having webpage written that are appropriate to what the boys are
asking/not asking about.

Perhaps LM_Net needs to concentrate a little while on gathering together
the BEST of our collective insights and draw up a list of print,
non-print, and websites that we can direct the boys to pertinent
information.
--
Earl Sande, Upper School Librarian,
International School of Tanganyika,