Thanks everyone. Have more than enough refernces.  The most common response
was to go to the ALA website.

Check out this site for info:
  1.  http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/caldecott.html

2.  In 1938, the first Caldecott Medal, donated by Frederic G. Melcher
(1879-1963), was awarded to the artist of the most distinguished American
picture book for children published in the United States during the
preceeding year.  The name of Randolf Caldecott, famous English illustrator
of books for children, was chosen for the medal because his work most
represented "joyousness of picture books as well as their beauty".  The
horseman on the medal is taken from one of his illustratons for John
Gilpin.  The Caldecott Medal is now donated annually by Daniel Melcher, son
of the original donor.  Honor Book Medals may also be awarded.

The Caldecott medal is awarded annually by the Association for Library
Service to Children.  The award is announced each year at the American
Library Association's Mid-Winter Conference.

3.  If you can search the internet under caldecott, there is a picture of the
medal and criteria. I do not have my copy at home.

4. Here are some sites to investigate to find out information on the Caldecott
Award.

http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/caldecott.html

http://www.ala.org/alsc/caldecott.html

These sites should give you just about every thing you need.

5. I've been working on a paper about children's literature and I have a
couple of suggestions for you.

"Illustrations in Children's Books" by Patricia Cianciolo

"The Newbery and Caldecott Awards: A Guide to the Medal and Honor Books"
        American Library Association

I found quite a few references on the net through searching, but I don't
have the addresses with me right now. Hope this helps.

6.  Go to the ALA web site.  They have a lot of that information there.

7.  American Library Association awards it check out:    www.ala.org

8.  Caldecott [and Newbery]Medal is awarded by the American Library
Association.  Within the ALA, the Association for Library Service to
Children [ALSC] is the division that administers the award.  Like the
Newbery, it was established by Fred Melcher to recognize the most
distinguished picture book for children pubished in a given year [the
1999 Committee will read the 1998 books].
Critera are listed in THE NEWBERY & CALDECOTT MOCK ELECTION KIT, that is
published by ALSC.  For both awards, the book must be an original work.
It must be a picture book that provides a visual experience and has a
collective unity of storyline, them, or concept, developed through a
series of pictures.  The audience must be children and ALSC defines
children as ages "up to and including fourteen."  Distinguished is
defined as "marked by eminence and distinction: noted for significant
achievement; marked by excellence in quality; marked by conspicuous
excellence or eminence and individulally distinct."  The artist must be a
citizen or resident of the United States [note that David Macaulay won
for Black and White although he is a British citizen.  David has lived in
Rhode Island since he was 10.]  When considering a book, the committee
does not compare the work of an artist to work done in previous years -
the 1998 book is judged against other 1998 books by elegible
illustrators.  In looking at distinguished the committee needs to
consider: "Excellence of execution in the artistic technique employedl
Excellence of pictorial interpretation of story,theme, or concept; of
appropriateness of style of illustration to the story, theme, or concetp;
of delineation of plot, theme, characters, setting, mood, or information
through the pictures. and the committee "must consider excellence of
presentation in recognition of a child audience."  The only limitation to
graphic from is that the form must be one which may be used in a pictre
book - and must be a self-contained entity - "not dependent on other
media (i.e. sound or film equipment) for its enjoyment."
        While the award is for illustrations, the other components must
be considered - especially when they make a book less effective - design,
text.
        Who selects?  The ALSC Caldecott Committee for 1999 will select
the next winner.  It is a committee that is elected and appointed.  The
chair, Barbara Barstow, was elected as were 7 of the members. They ran on
the ALSC Ballot last spring [1997] and were announced in June.  This past
fall, 1997, the ALSC President Elizabeth Watson, appointed the remaining
7 members.  To be eligible for the committee, one must be a member of ALA
and ALSC and have demonstrated that they are able to judge books and
illustrations.
        Who nomimates the books?  The committee members read, read, read,
read and read some more.  They also look at the reviews to see what
others are saying.  They get suggestions from friends and staff members.
 AND, you are asked to send along suggestions if you find 1998 books you
feel should be considered.  Committees DO take very seriously any titles
recommended.   You may send your suggestions to:
        Barbara M. Barstow, 1999 Caldecott Award Committee Chair
        Cuyahoga County Public Library
        2111 Snow Road
        Parma, Ohio  44134
If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. [and Newbery
suggestions may be sent to the address below!]
Ginny McKee
1999 Newbery Award Committee Chair [and a past president of ALSC]
Youth Services Coordinator
Providence Public Libary
225 Washington St.  Providence, RI 02903-3283

9.  I do a Caldecott Unit with all the second grade classes each year.  I have
found some great information at this web site:

http://ils.unc.edu/award/chome.html

10.  Get yourself a copy of Children and Books by Zena Sutherland, that
should help

11.   just found this site for our"HOTSITE " of the week:\

http://www.ala.org/alsc/caldecott.html

the ala site that tells about the award, how it is awarded.. and by the
way,.. Randolph Caldecott's b-day is March 22nd.

12.  According to my wonderful new book, _The Literary Almanac: The Best of the
Printed Word 1900 to the Present_, High Tide Press, 1997:

Named for the English illustrator Randolph Caldecott, the author and
illustrator of _The House That Jack Built_ and _The Grand Panjandrum
Himself_, this award was created in 1937 by the American Library Association
to honor illustrators of children's books. It is given annually to the artist
of the most outstanding American children's picture book published the
previous year and, like the Newbery Medal, is considered one of the highest
achievements in children's literature.    (p. 264)

13.  The Newbery and Caldecott Awards:  A guide to the medal and honor
books issued
annually by the ALA lists terms, definition, criteria and info about the
committee.  I would imagine that most public libraries have a current or back
copies of this book.

I have the 1995 edition if you have trouble locating one, email me back.

14. Go to my department's homepage (see address in my signature below - the
thingie right before the imcftp is a tilde not quotes).  Once there choose
"Other Helpful Sites", then "Book Awards".  There is a site for the Newbery
and Caldecott Awards which might be helpful to you.

hmpg: http://www.sisnet.ssku.k12.ca.us/~imcftp

Barbara Stricker, Librarian
Alta Elementary School
21771 E. Parlier Ave.