Dear Group,

Our district librarian is hosting a demonstration by a Follett
representative later this month for all the principals and library
assistants on a union catalog for our district.   We have been automated for
a little over two years. If any of you have already done this and can shed
light on things to do or not do, etc., I would appreciate it.  Do you do
interlibrary loan for teachers AND students?  How do you handle overdues and
lost books?  Do you have a policy in place for things in high demand (like
seasonal/holiday items)?  How much extra time does it take for site library
assistants to manage requests from other schools?  How do students and
teachers respond when doing searches and "find" things at other sites?  I'm
sure there are questions I haven't even thought of. Our district consists of
5 elementary schools and 1 intermediate school.  Libraries are operated by
6-hour assistants.  The elementary schools have fixed schedules with 25-34
classes.  The elementary schools do not have student search stations, yet.
I would really like to go to this meeting armed with your collective wisdom.
If there is interest, I will post a hit.  Thank you !

Susan Abair
Library Assistant
Wilson Elementary School
Dinuba, CA