You guys are AWESOME!! I received lots of helpful  information  - what a
FANTASTIC and WONERFUL collection of information you are all!

Thank you so much!!     Toby Z

                            **********

I do not know of a book, but there was a lengthy article in THE NEW YORKER
late in 97 about the "Spanish" flu empidemic of 1918-19

                            **********

        Time Magazine did a cover story on the flu a week or two ago....don't
have the date since it's at school.  It is primarily about the latest
avian flu outbreak in Hong Kong but does extensive paralellel with the
Spanish Flu pandemic of 1917-18 and how they exhumed bodies in Alaska
and took lung samples to match with samples stored in a medical lab.
Fascinating reading....reads like a medical mystery.  Wish I new of a
book set in WWI like A PARCEL OF PATTERNS by Jill Paton Walsh that
details how the plague was spread to one village in England and what the
villagers did to prevent its spread any further....great middle ages
novel if you haven't read it.

                            **********

Toby,  It's a little elementary for you students but "Goodby Billy Radish"
 deals with WWI and the flu epidemic.  Sorry i don't remember the author.

                             ***********

        Yale Med School library has an extensive collection on the history
of medicine.  I don't know if you have any access to that library, but
that could be an option if LM_NET doesn't come through.

                              ***********

Hi.  PBS did a terrific show on the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918.  This
was done on the American experience, and it was very good.

Not a book, but hope this helps.  The program aired within the last month.

                               ***********

     I'm doing this from home so I can't give you the author, but there
is a book called America's Forgotten Epidemic, the l918 Influenza
outbreak. It's relatively recent, but not so recent you won't be able to
get it on interlibrary loan. There was also an ariticle in, I believe
the Jan. 22 Rolling Stone by Hilary Johnson primarily on the l918
epidemic.
     I've been fascinated by infectious diseases, particularly plague
ever since I saw a British tv series called Survivors several years ago,
which can be quickly described as "Stephen King's the Stand without the
religious mumbo-jumbo." (Also with a good deal of direct and indirect
literary content) It's probably not directly related to what your
students are doing now, but might be of interest to anyone who wants to
investigate social aspects of widespread epidemics, from a theoretical
point of view. There's a web page,
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/1766, which I contribute to that
might add something to the debate.One of the regular features is an
ongoing debate between myself (arts-humanities) and a microbiologist
from Inverness, who gives the hard science outlook.
     Of course I heartily reccommend the series-it appears from time to
time on various PBS stations-usually bundled with Red Dwarf, of all the
things! One caveat, it is very British and therefore slower, more
literary and less "action-oriented" than most American shows.It has been
a total blast for me corresponding by email to other fans and disease
freaks all over the world-sometimes I think that it's just what the net
is all about.

                           *************

A few weeks ago our PBS TV station played an excelent program on the
flue of 1917. See if yours has it.

                              ***********

   I don't know of any  books about viruses/flu during World War I, but I
thought you might find this interesting.  Our school nickname is the Shermans
because the land on which our
school stands was part of Camp Sherman, a large military camp during World War
I.  I
know that the flu virus was very bad.  I can remember my grandparents telling
about using
the local theater for the bodies.  If I can  find any written information, I'll
pass it along to
you.

                                 **********

Karen Hesse of this years Newbery fame wrote A Time of Angels set during
the flu epidemic. Powerful.

                                  *********

    My husband and I just watched a special on the flu on PBS. I just
e-mailed him and he sent back the following info:

 Here is the title of the special and a web address to check.

 The American Experience/Influenza/In the path of a killer - PBS

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/amex/influenza/about.html

                                **********

There is a good two page article in the book Encyclopedia of Plague and
Pestilence (George Kohn, ed. from Facts on File)

There was also an excellent pbs program on just that subject.  It aired
on Feb 9.  It was in the American Experience series, and was entitled
Influenza 1918.  Just an hour show.  Very interesting.  Perhaps you can
purchase that.

                               **********

        I can't suggest any books, but PBS did have a great program about
the influenza outbreak which happened in 1918, I think.  Many soldiers
died from the disease.  The program focused mostly on the affects in the
US, but there was some mention of the effects overseas.  I'm not sure of
the program's title, but someone at your local PBS might be able to help
you if it's something they're interested in.

                            ***********

I don't have a book to recommend but there is a great site on the Internet
on the pandemic of 1918.  I forget the URL, but if you go to
http://www.inference.com/ifind  and put in influenza 1918
you should find it and probably more.

                            **********

Hero over here by Kay Kudlinski is about the flu epidemic in the US
during WWI from the perspective of a young boy.  It is not a HS level
book but it might be a starting place.

   I'm replying the whole group because I missed your original post.  I just
received a book from Junior Library Guild, it is by Katherine Lasky - I can't
remember the whole title (I'm at home) but it begins "Marven and the..." It
relates the true story of her father Marven Lasky, son immigrant parents
living in Duluth, who was sent to  liive in a French Canadian logging camp to
escape the flu ravaging the city post WWI.  I have read it to my second
graders and they love it!!  Excellent author's note gives background and
photographs.  The book is beautifully illustrated by Kevin Hawkes.