Hi ... Word 97 lets you  "save as" (click on File, then on Save As...) a
whole raft of formats, including older versions of Word -- click on the
"Save as Type" scroll arrow and read the rest of the list.  BUT the
conversion option from Word 97 to Word 6 was buggy, and that conversion only
works right if you have a patch that fixes the problem (or maybe the latest
release of Word 97 incorporates the fix).  Also, my experience has been that
it can be a GIANT pain to try to deal with a Word 6 file (at least one with
lots of graphics) in Word 97.  I tried it ONCE and said "never again," as it
seemed to take *forever*.  (First I said "%#&*%&$^&$@@!!")

I use Office 4.3 at home (that includes Word 6), and now use Word 97 at work
(having recently moved to Office 97 there), in both cases under Win 95.

Bottom line: if you save documents at work as Word 97 documents, then you
cannot read them at home.  BUT there is an alternative.  Win 95's WordPad
program saves in Word 6 format (and a couple of other choices)!  For
documents that are fairly uncomplicated, this could be a good solution.  I
do a LOT in WordPad, and find it quite useful.

Ken

--
Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D., Policy Analyst
California Research Bureau, California State Library