Dear all,
    My principal loves to dress as book characters and go to the
classrooms.  She came up with a sweet little old lady character, based
on her Grandmother and wanted a book to go with.  We decided that Mrs.
Rumphius was going to be wonderful.  We also wanted to have a collection
of sayings that she could sprinkle out as she went from room to room.
So thank's to your donations and books, here is a list of some I've
collected so far.

Hmmm, format didn't follow, you'll have to cut and paste to a word
processing document and seperate them.  Sorry.

absence makes the heart grow fonder all is well that ends well
all that glitters is not gold an apple a day keeps the doctor away
anything worth haveing is worth waiting for apple doesn't fall far from
the tree
as a tree is bent, so it grows as wise as an owl
beauty is as beauty does beauty is only skin deep
beggars can't be choosers bent as a twig
better a half a loaf than no bread at all better part of valour is
discretion
bird in the hand is worth two in the bush bird of a feather flock
together
busy as a cat on a hot tin roof busy as a one-armed paper hanger with
hives butter would'nt melt in their mouth coat of paint covers a
multitude of sins children should be seen but not heard closed mouth
catches no flies
clumsy as an ox deaf as a post do as I say, not as I do
do not count your chickens beforethey are hatched
do not look a gift horse in the mouth do not sweep your problems under
the carpet don't burn your candle at both ends don't let the cat out of
the bag
don't spit into the wind don't throw the baby out with the wash
donot be a fair weather friend dont' put all your eggs in one basket
dumb as a doorknob either fish or cut bait
even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
every dog has his day every person for themselves
familiarity breeds contempt fat is in the fire
feather your own nest finger in every pie
fish or cut bait fool me one, shame on you fool me twice,  shame on me
fools run in where angels fear to tread
for the want of a nail a  kingdom was lost fore-warend is fore - armed
forever and a day forgive your enemies, but remember their
names  from the frying pan into the fire
Gave up the ghost get back on when you fall off
give an inch and they'll take a mile god helps them that help themselves

good reputation is more valuable than money good things come in small
packages
happy is he that the sun shines on haste makes waste
he travels fastest who travels alone he who has made a beginning, has
the deed  half done he who hesitates is lost
he who laughs last, laughs best his bark is worse than his bite
home is where the heart is horse of a diffferent color
I have other fish to fry i know which side my bread is buttered on I'm
going to turn over a new leaf if you don't use your head, you'll have to
use  your feet imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
it is an ill wind that blows no good it is as easy todo  right as wrong
it is quality not quantity that counts it it was a snake, it would have
bit you
it matters not what you are thought to be, but what you are
it's better to be a live chicken than a dead duck
it's better to be safe than sorry it's raining cats and dogs
keep the wolf from the door keep your nose to the grindstone
last but not least laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and  you cry
alone lay your cards on the table
leave no stone unturned led on a wild goose chase
let every man mind his own business let he who is without sin cast the
first stone
let sleeping dogs lie liar will not be believed even when he speaks  the
truth living from hand tomouth
look before you leap look for a needle in a hay stack
love conquers all love makes the world go roung
makes no bones about it man is known for the compnay he keeps
men or pretty girls are dime a dozen mind your ps and qs
monkey see, monkey do more brawn than brain
more the merrier mum's the word
my kingdom for a horse necessity is the mother of invention
neither a borrower or a lender be neither fish nor fowl never leave till
tomorrow that which you can do today no one knows what he can do until
he tries nothing is impossible to a willing heart nothing is permanent
but change
one good turn deserves another one man's meat is another's poison
one today is worth two tomorrow sounce of prevention is worth a pound
of  cure  out of sight, out of mind
pen is mightier than the sword penny for your thought
penny saved is a penny earnedpenny wise, pound foolish
people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
please all and you will please no one practice makes permanance
Pretty is as pretty does proof of the pudding is in the eating
put the shoe on the other foot put your shoulder to the wheel
remember that time is money rome wasn't built in a day
shaking like a leaf sight of you is good for sore eyes
sky's the limit slow as molasses in January
sly as an fox small but mighty
small pitchers have big ears snake in the grass
sooner said than done sorrow knows no season
that’s the way the ball bounces that's the way the cookie crumbles
that's water under the bridge there is no love lost
there is no place like home there's the devil to pay
they have two left feet thing of beauty is a joy forever
things are not always what they seem those who dance must pay the
fiddler
there, but for the grace of god, go It is a long road that knows no
turning
tis as cheap sitting as standing to err is human, to forgive devine
too many cooks spoil the broth true love never runs smoothly
turnabout is fair play two heads are better than one
watched pot nevers boils we;ll cross that bridge when we come to it what
a terrible web we weave when first we practice to deceive
what goes up must come down what is sauce for the goose is sauce for
the  gander when thou art in Rome, doas the romans do
where there is smoke there is usually fire why lock the barn after the
horse gets out
with a grain of salt with tooth and nail
within a stone's throw word to the wise is suffiecient
would you live with ease, do what you ought and not what you please
you can hurt no one but yourself you can lead a horse to water, but you
can't  make it drink you can take the boy off the farm, but you  can't
take the farm out of the boy you can't have your cake and eat it too
you can't take it with you you can't judge a book by it's cover

--

R. Jean Gustafson
Librarian