> I think your teachers should be more worried about what students see on T.V.
> (not excluding commercials) than the appropriatness of The Giver.  And, to
> tell you the truth, I'd rather they read virtually anything rather than those
> dumbed-down textbooks!
>
> I'd be interested to know what others think!
>
> -Dear Roberta ,

    I agree,  I find the Giver disturbing  ,but well written. Lowery paints a
utterly frightening picture in tones so pastel that it make the effect even more
chilling.  The type of discussion that this book could generate is unlimited.  A
good teacher would have dozens of jumping off points for instruction.   I do feel
we are dumbing down the kids .  Unfortunately the teachers are not helping
.  I have had several run-ins with staff that feel I running an extended ,leveled
reading lab.  They want there student to have access only to materials they can
read without assistance. Under no terms should I allow a child to select materials
on the basis of the child wants.    It is maddening.
  I always wondered how the students of one room school house were protected from
knowledge too advanced for them.

Victoria L. Rubottom
Sacred Heart School
rubottom@cadvantage.com