Hi folks,

I am beating an old drum here, but as you know, I think the best way to get
kids past plagiarism is to only ask for research that requires original
thinking and problem solving.

Those of you working with students and teachers, especially at the high
school level, might want to share this rubric with them as they begin their
research projects. It dovetails into Step One of the Big Six pretty good too.

Use it as you can and I welcome comments and improvements:

A Research Question Rubric: Not all research questions are created equal.

Level One:      My research is about a broad topic. I can complete the
assignment by using a general reference source such as an encyclopedia. I
have no personal questions about the topic.
Example: My research is about the economy of Minnesota.

Level Two:      My research answers a question that helps me narrow the focus
of my search. This question may mean that I need to go to various sources
to gather enough information to get a reliable answer. The conclusion of
the research will ask me to give a supported answer to the question.
Example: What role has manufacturing played in Minnesota's economic
development?

Level Three:    My research answers a question of personal relevance. To
answer this question I may need to consult not just secondary sources such
as magazines, newspapers, books or the Internet, but use primary sources of
information such as original surveys, interviews, or source documents.
Example: How can one best prepare for a career in manufacturing in the Twin
Cities area?

Level Four:     My research answers a personal question about the topic, and
contains information that may be of use to decision-makers as they make
policy or distribute funds. The result of my research is a well support
conclusion that contains a call for action on the part of an organization
or government body. There will be a plan to distribute this information.
Example: How might high schools change their curricula to meet the needs of
students wanting a career in manufacturing in Minnesota?

Doug

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor  | If you want to make enemies,
I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools        | try to change something.
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713         |               -Woodrow Wilson
Voice: 507-387-7698                             |
Fax: 507-387-2496                               |
E-mail: palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu
or:     djohns1@mail.isd77.k12.mn.us
http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/staffdir/staff2/Johnson_Doug.html