Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:59:53 -0500
 library (Middle School/ High
School level)  and have been pushing to have the new computer lab
attached (possibly adjoining room with plexiglass window/wall) to the
library when we begin our much-needed expansion.

I have found that having computers in the library is a good thing -
it enables students to begin word-processing their papers during the
time a class has scheduled into the library for research time. Of
course I am fortunate enough to be on flexible scheduling here - no
assigned classes; teachers book time for particular projects and
assume I will be in on the planning of those projects.

I also consider the Internet to be part of my "domain"; it's a
research tool, after all. I had never used it when the T1 line came
in last September, yet the day after it was installed teachers
started coming to ME to ask how they could use it... let me tell
you I ran out and bought four books and spent many many hours
learning my way around cyberspace in the next few weeks! We
happen to have lots of access here - a T1 line with 50 available
logins at any time in our district, which is very small. There are
few problems with kids logging on to unsavory sites, however, because
we have bought into a provider called SurfWatch, which denies access
to any site containing certain language. It's not a perfect system  -
some stuff gets through, and sometimes we are blocked from sites
which are legitimate, but we are able to work with SurfWatch and
customize our screens when this happens.

But I will admit - the network workstations do take up a lot of my
time! I am constantly answering questions about programs and
fielding printing problems, etc. If I were all alone here (I  have
an assistant) I might lose my mind! But I have to say that on the
whole, having an arm of the local area network in here has been a
plus and not a minus, for me, at least. For someone else, this may
not be the case. To the LM_Netter who is opposed to havin a lab  in
the library, there is always a way to legitimately argue the point.
Will it be staffed or will the librarian have to man the lab? - this
might present a contractual basis for argument. If this doesn't work,
perhaps the librarian might draw up a document detailing the services
currently provided to students and staff and then (with great
regrets) outline to the rest of the staff ( and perhaps parents)
those services that he or she will no longer be able to provide,
given the added demands of the lab.

Robin Dorsty, Librarian
Pierson High School Sag Harbor NY 11963
shdorsro@sagharbor.k12.ny.us

From: Viviane Lampach <lampach@VOYAGER.BXSCIENCE.EDU>
Subject: CD Roms for biology, medicine and physics

I am asking this for a colleague who is a libraian at another magnet
science high school. Can anyone recommend any CD Rom titles in the ares of
biology, physics and medicine.TIA

Viviane J. Lampach, Librarian
The Bronx H.S. of Science
75 W. 205th Street