I think there is a difference between having a computer lab
IN the library and a computer lab ADJACENT to the library.

I have a computer lab in the room adjacent to my library and
love it that way.  I also have computers in the library that
are dedicated to reference work, internet research, and catalog
searching.  The technology coordinator runs the lab and I
run the library.  We run back and forth constantly; I often
help students in the lab and vice versa; the students go back
and forth a lot too--having the spaces next to each other seems
to make both spaces more productive.

HOWEVER, I think that having a lab right IN the library would
decrease the effectiveness of both resources. In addition, I
think that having ONE person do two jobs is not good.  Certainly,
all LMS's need to be very computer literate and need to incorporate
electronic information and electronic products (word processing,
spreadsheets, multimedia, html, etc.) into their programs.
But with the number of computers in schools these days, the
troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair is almost a full time
job in and of itself.  We still need to have librarians in schools
who are passionately dedicated to books and reading, who are
giving individual readers' advisory services to kids, who are
maintaining and promoting book collections.  NO ONE can do it all.

Best,

Constance Vidor
Librarian
The Cathedral School