Hi

Sorry this has taken so long. When I requested the information, I
never expected the wonderful responses that I would get. I also was
getting them for a teacher outside my school so when I printed them, I
deleted them. She was kind enough to reprint them for me so I could
post a hit.  She is eternally grateful to all of you for your help and
cannot believe that a listserv like this actually exists...

Thanks again and always

Jody Newman
Library Aide
Center School
Stow MA
newmanj@meol.mass.edu
***************************
BUTTERFLY POETRY:

Butterfly by Ben Franklin
What is a butterfly?
At best
Heıs but a caterpillar
Dressed.

Quoted from _Flit, Flutter, Fly_ poems about bugs and other crawly
creatures selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins . Doubledsy 1992, p.24

White butterflies by Algerson Charles Swinburne
Fly, white butterflies, out to sea,
Frail, pale wings for the wind to try,
Small white wings that we scarce can see,
 Fly,
Some fly light as a laugh of glee,
Some fly soft as a long , low sigh;
All to the haven where each would be,
 Fly,

Butterfly  by John Banister Tabb
Butterfly, Butterfly, sipping the sand,
Have you forgotten the flowers of the land?
Or are you so sated with honey  and dew
That sand-filtered water tastes better to you?

Quoted from _Under the Tent of the sky _ a collection of poems about
animals large and small selected by John E. Brewton. Macmillan 1954
p.99

Butterflies by Moritake
Fallen petals rise
 back to the branch - I watch:
  o  .. Butterflies

Cocoon By David McCord
The little caterpillar creeps
Awhile before in silk it sleeps.
It sleeps awhile before it flies,
And flies awhile before it dies,
And thatıs the end of three good tries.
Caterpillars
They came like dewdrops overnight
Eating every plant in sight,
Those nasty worms with legs that crawl
So creepy up the garden wall,
Green prickly fuzz to hurt and sting
Each unsuspecting living thing.
How I hate them! Oh, you know
Iıd love to squish them with my toe.
But then I see past their disguise,
Someday theyıll all be butterflies.
By Brod Bagert

The Butterfly Jar By Jeff Moss
We had a jar with a butterfly.
We opened the lid and it flew to the sky.
And there are things inside my head
Waiting to be thought or said,
Dreams and jokes and wondering are
Locked inside, like a butterfly jar.
But then, when you are here with me,
I can open the lid and set them free.

More information

Search for poetry indexes for "caterpillars"

Christina Rossetti has a poem about caterpillars. It can be found in
several anthologies such as Arbuthnotıs.

The book JOYFUL NOISE : POEMS FOR TWO VOICES by Paul Fleischman  has a
poem "Chrysalis" describing the life cycle of the butterfly.

The book, The Butterfly Alphabet by Kjell B. Sandved  presents the
alphabet using  close-up photographs of butterfliesı wings. For each
letter there is a two line verse. The first two verses are:
On the wings aloft across the skies
An alphabet of butterflies.

Each butterfly in the secret brings
A letter hidden in its wings.

The Butterfly Alphabet
New York: Scholastic, 1996
ISBN: 0-590-48003-0
94-41514
$15.95

"I never saw another butterfly" is a collection of poems written by
the
children of Terezin concentration camp 1942 - 1944.

Jack Prelutskyıs collection of poems, The Beauty of the Beast, has
several poems.

There is a poetry collection titled "Animals, Animals", illustrated by
Eric Carle that has a subject index. It might have some poems about
butterflies.

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children has a subject index. It
might have some poems.

This site http://mgfx.com/contest/quail.htm  is a butterfly poem
contest. It has poems written by students.