As far as I'm concerned it is not the degree that makes a librarian, but
a true hard work ethic and a desire to be a service to all. I've known
many librarians with multiple degrees who are probably the laziest people
in the world.  They get the library assistants to do all of their work
while they sit on their MLS collecting a high pay. I have also known many
MLS Librarians that feel once they get their degree they no longer have
to keep up to date with the latest in librarianship.  They poo poo
library assistants from attending workshops or courses out of jealousy or
narrow-mindedness.  As far as I'm concerned, Library Assistants have far
more hands on experience and drive than many MLS librarians!!!!

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Peterson, Linda S wrote:

> Dear Netters,
>         I have been following this thread and I hope to hear more on
> this subject.  In the past I have detected feelings of anger and
> frustration from Certified Librarians who are offended that Library
> Clerks are put in charge of Libraries.  I have to admit I am a Library
> Clerk and not only am I in charge of my High School library, I am the
> the one who established it.  I work at a small (159 students)
> continuation high school.  Before I was assigned here, there was no
> library.  Over 50% of the "C" schools in California don't even have
> Libraries.  How you can have a school and no Library is beyond me.  But
> I am digressing... I am just finishing up my two year vocational
> certificate in Library Science at San Bernardino Valley College and feel
> I bring a great deal to "my kids".  While I do not have the formal
> education, I try very hard to meet their needs in making the Library an
> extension of the classroom. We deal primarily with kids at risk, who's
> lives are very bleak.  For some, coming to the Library willingly would
> rank right up there with a fate worst than death.  This has forced me to
> be very creative and unorthodox in ways to encourage them into the
> Library.  I have pulled stunts from turning the Library into the Museum
> of Lame Excuses during Halloween to get overdue books to running a
> multiculture club at lunch.  All have been highly successful and has
> created a following of the Library.
>         I would love to have a district Librarian, but that is not even
> being considered.  There have been days and situations where I wished I
> had someone with higher training to conferr with. That is one of the
> reasons I joined LM_Net and shout its praises during my college classes
> and to the other media techs in our district.  My bottom line is that I
> am here for the kids. While it is doubltful I will ever become a
> certified Librarian, I honestly feel the students here are better off
> for having this mere Library Clerk than nothing at all.  The last thing
> I mean to do is offend anyone who has had the dedication and opportunity
> to get their degree, but just because someone holds the title of Library
> Clerk or Aide doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't teach library skills.
> If you have had a child, you have been a teacher.  In a perfect world,
> every school would have a degreed Librarian. However, we live a world of
> reality with shrinking school budgets and state legistature cutting ADA,
> that has forced districts to cut corners here and there.  Unfortunately
> in both the public and academic worlds the Libraries always seem to get
> the ax first.  I don't have the answer for this problem.  While I can
> understand degreed Librarians frustration on this issue, lets not create
> a class conscience within our field.  I just wanted to put my two cents
> into this discussion for what it is worth.
> Sincerely,
>
> Linda S. Peterson---Library Clerk
> [...]

Barbara Keesey
Library Assistant
Interlibrary Loan
Widener University
School of Law                                The Mind Is Like A Parachute
Wilmington, De                               It Only Works When It Is Open
(302) 477-2297
Fax: (302) 477-2240
Barbara.J.Keesey@law.widener.edu