Hi, all --

I've been reading the thread about library aides doing the job of the
librarians with interest, empathy and sadness.  I have been in this library
only one year.  Last February, I found out that my position was being cut
due to budget considerations.  This facility will come under the
supervision of the high school librarian and be staffed with an aide (not
quite full time.)  I've since found another position in another state, but
I'm still dealing with the day to day issues of leaving this school.

The last straw (twisting of the knife, however you want to say it) came the
other day when the person the school wants to hire as the aide visited me.
She's a retired teacher who needs to work one more year.  When she asked
the high school librarian what he saw her doing differently than me (for
her $6.00 an hour vs. my salary).  His answer?  "Not much."   One of the
issues we discussed was her feeling that her coming in as a former teacher
will make it easier for the administration to justify the decision to
eliminate the position.  (i.e., they think she'll be able to help kids find
resources, monitor kids who come in for study halls and small group work,
etc.)  To her credit, she does not want to make this an easy thing for this
district to adjust to doing without a certified person in this position.

The decision to eliminate this position came from, I think, the mindset
that sees the library as a repository of books, videos, and magazines.  The
librarian is the caretaker of those materials.  The caretaker function
involves making sure the shelves are in perfect order, the magazines are
lined up just so, the videos are in perfect order in the back room and all
the books are checked in.  But, my functions behind the scenes make all the
previous functions possible:  selection, purchasing, collaboration with
teachers, etc., etc., etc.  My "prediction" is that this library will be
able to function in the caretaking mode for about 5 years (at most) before
it completely falls apart and administration has to do something about it.

While I applaud the efforts of aides who are put in impossible situations
and are doing their best out of love for their jobs and their kids, we do a
disservice to those same teachers and kids if we don't continue to educate
those in administrative (and decision-making) positions.  I didn't do much
in the line of educating/communicating with administration this year.  I
don't know if that would have made a difference, but I'll never know.
That's one of the things that I'll work much harder at in my new school.

Just MHO, for what it's worth.  Thanks for your time in reading it -- I
think this is a valuable thread of discussion.  I look forward to more
comments.

Cyndi Gates
Platteview Central Junior High
South Sarpy #46
Springfield, NE (5 miles south of Omaha)

e-mail:  cgates@pcjhs.esu3.k12.ne.us