If you find that moving the mouse results in the cursor moving awkwardly or
sticking, you know the mice need doing. I suggest you practice on an old
mouse first because you have to be careful on the amount of pressure you
apply  (that's why I don't have the kids do it for me)

get some wood alcohol, a pair of tweezers, and some cotton tipped sticks  (I
used to call them Q-Tips until I came abroad and found no one knew what I
meant) and a good light.

Turn the mouse over and you'll see a section around the ball, usually with
an arrow.  Push to open and remove.  Turn mouse back over and let the ball
drop out  (carefully or you'll be chasing it all over the place)

Inside there are two wheels (they look like the ones on Bic lighters) and
another bar.  Carefully swab each with alcoholled sticks, going across the
wheel.  I do stress "CAREFUL" for if you push too hard the wheel comes off
its holder and is difficult to reset.  The tweezers are used to pick out
larger pieces that will form.  When these parts are clean, the rod will be
shiny like new and you can see the serrations on the other two wheels.

Replace the mouse ball and cover.

--
Earl Sande, Upper School Librarian,
International School of Tanganyika,