I have been working for two years in my district as the Dist Librarian.  I
came from outside the area.  I think I now have a grasp of how the
elementary libraries are viewed and used.  The general consensus is that
each school has a quote lending library for children's recreational reading
needs unquote (School District Parent Handbook).

While my immediate supervisor and the Asst Sup who are responsible for the
library program are sympathetic to the LMC concept, I want to launch an
awareness campaign for the board, management team, teachers, and parents.
I am prohibited from speaking directly to the board members (district
culture), so I will use the weekly organs that exist to send copies of
articles to them.

I am looking for recent, short (two-three page) articles from respected
journals by recognizable authorities that I can send out once a month in
these district organs.  Would you send me the bib info on your favorites?
I will search the texts out at the  local college library.  I am
particularly interested in articles that explain in lay language how
reading is connected to the library, how library collections integrate with
the curriculum, how automation of the school can be facilitated in the
library, how a credentialled library staff enhance the achievement of all
students in the school, etc.

I have done an ERIC search.  I just thought you would each have your favorites.

Many, many thanks from a California school librarian,
Susan Scott
District Librarian
Rio Linda Union School District
iluvlib@ns.net