Hello all--

    Here's a HIT answering my questions about the increasing demands of
software, particularly the very popular SIRS Researcher,  with the not
so powerful computers that many of us have.  A few of the represenative
--
David Levin, Library Media Center Director
Rich Central High School in Olympia Fields, IL

---
David,
Basically the same problem here.  I loaded the graphics (disk 2) on the
hard drive and placed disk 1 in the CD on the file server....only 1 cd
slot.  The extra set of CD's I use on the stand alone computers for full

access.  In the SIRS config file I turned off the opening screen and
graphics.

In the past I have installed the program on each workstation, and turned

on/off the options depending on the workstation.  The only drawback is
collect statistics you have to go to each machine and print it out.
Terry Young M.Ed., M.L.S.               West Jefferson High School
Library
---
Our district just passed a Technology bond to upgrade and wire all our
buildings.

Both of our junior highs had keyboarding labs.  Simple machines, WIN95,
no CD-ROM's, no Internet.  The high school had one computer lab with a
56k internet hookup as well as keyboarding classroom labs.  I believe
some of this equipment was purchased with Federal grants (Section 31A,
etc.).

In order to upgrade and create a WAN for the district, automate all of
the 13 school libraries, etc. we went to the voters with a bond issue.
I don't know what kind of computers we will get, or how soon they will
become outmoded.  But I would guess the taxpayers will continue paying
for upgrades in the coming years
Elizabeth Davenport
Roseville High School LMC
---
I'm feeling the same way...but I'm becoming more interested in Web based

service for those reasons. I've spent 2 hours today configuring SIRS
Renaissance, the Windows version to run on our network and with our
desktop security program (no success yet, thank you) and am ready to
sign up for the Web badsed service where all I have to do is add a link
to our home page, hope our Internet connection stays live, and it's
available on both platforms.
Sandra Parks
Harrisonburg High School
---
For awhile I had the problem of software being too advanced for
my MACs.  with additional computers being purchased for other
teachers, buying more advanced computers for the library was
not an option.  Therefore, I didn't buy certain software, if I
knew it wouln't run well.  Other software just sat unused until
we had a computer to run it.
Debra Balsam
Taylor Elementary
---
My experience has been that you can easily run any DOS program within
Windows (3.1, WFW, 95, or NT).  You just create an icon that loads the
programs (usually .exe or .bat file) and things load up fine.  Speed
is usually a function of the processor speed or the size of your cache
or swapfile, not related to DOS.  Most people think that Win95 is a
new operating system, but DOS is still there in the background, as
always.
   I hope I understood your question and that this is helpful.  If you
are using older computers, you probably are in a bind--but the company
should provide some advice with their tech support dept.
 Good luck!
Dr. Marilyn Barnes
Media Dir./Librarian
Mattoon CUSD #2