The inconvience of unwanted ads is more than outweighed by the
convience of being able to respond directly to a person in a hit
without needing to waste archive space by asking  a person for
contact on the list. Also, there are many people on the list who pay
for each message, or for messages over a certain amount. I try to
keep these people in mind when I post, to keep their costs down. I
too have seen the "hits" posted on other lists. In almost all cases,
they were double posted by the original poster who had asked for the
same information from that list.

If you post to lm_net, you have a much greater chance of being picked
up for advertising, than if your address is only included in a hit.
The only way to be completely safe, is to never respond to a target
or question, never post to a list, and only join lists that keep the
membership lists private.  You also don't want to download anything
from a web or ftp site, since your email address is used as
verification. You don't want to visit a web site, since an address is
taken as part of a log file...

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company