The following is a bit of a vent, but I am not angry.  No flames please,
but comments (negative and positive) are more than welcome!  :-)

You know, I am still very interested in this whole discussion, even
though it is dragging on a bit now.  It pains me every time I hear
references to paraprofessionals as somehow being inferior to those with
degrees.  Maybe that's because I know there are paras who are on this
list, and maybe it's because technically I'm a para until I finally
finish the degree I've been working on for three years (one more class!
Hallelujah!).  Don't get me wrong... I understand there is a difference,
and I know what I learned in Grad school that makes me more qualified to
be the librarian, but it doesn't make the paras I know "inferior."  Just
different.  However, that's not really what I want to talk about.  If
you'll bear with me, I'll ask that you consider the following...

The most interesting thing about this whole discussion IMHO is WHERE it
is taking place.  Are we not preaching to the choir here?  Not only with
this issue, but with the issue of positions being cut.  Yes, librarians
are often misunderstood (if I had a dime for everytime someone said "But
you don't LOOK like a librarian..."), but aren't we the only ones who can
do anything about it?  Shouldn't ALA or at the very least AASL launch a
campaign to educate people about what it is we do?  Oh, but we DO that,
don't we?  National Library Week, etc.  Maybe what we need to do is start
thinking about WHY we can't seem to get through to people...

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking that we need an Ally McBeal of
libraries.  Why are television shows only set in law firms and police
stations?  Are those the only places of intrigue and mystery.  I think
not!  Why not libraries?  Sure, movies have libraries IN them (City of
Angels most recently) but perhaps we need to bombard the public with a
new image of librarians doing WHAT WE REALLY DO--not shushing everyone
all the time, stamping books and pushing up our glasses.  They made
successful shows and movies about English teachers and music teachers
doing what they do best.  WHERE HAVE ALL THE LIBRARIANS GONE?!  Granted,
no one wants to see us shelving the books and vacuuming the floor, which
many of us still do, but we're HUMAN and interesting stuff happens to us.
 (Boy, does it ever...)

Anyone out there know a screenwriter or a script writer who is looking
for an idea?  Steal mine... I don't mind.  If it would get people to stop
asking me why I need a masters degree to shelve books, I'd be happy.
I'll even help!

(I am aware of the mom librarian in Wishbone.  She's very cool.  But we
rarely see her at work.  Maybe she needs her own show...)

Just a little (long) thought for the day.  What do you think?

Elizabeth A. Findley
Librarian/Archivist
The Education Center, Inc.
Greensboro, NC