Dear Group -
Johanna's question made me think about our yearly Book Exchange.
I thought I would explain what I do and hope some of you have some other
ideas.

Each child takes home a flyer next week.  The book exchange will be the
first two weeks in June. I split my classes with the computer teacher, so it
takes two weeks for me to see everyone.

I have about 300 books I have collected from teachers and aides who know we
do this.  They bring me things as they clean out attics, and as their
children grow. It really helps to have a collection to start with. Hard
books are put on the tables, and paperbacks on the window sills.

Next week I will explain the rules to the children:
The children will visit during their class time, but if I am not busy they
may come at other times, too.
They may bring in any hardback or paperback books that are in good
condition.  My aide and I have final say on what is GOOD condition.
Anything falling apart or written in is not accepted. We don't do magazines.
Also - I tell each group this at least twice:  They must have permission to
bring in books to exchange.  If they bring in a book and give it to me,  it
is then part of the Book Exchange.  I will not take a book from a child who
has chosen it in the book exchange because the person who brought it is has
a problem with his mom.

I have a roll of lunch tickets.  As each child turns in their books, I
quickly check to see if they are appropriate, and that they are in good
condition.  For each hard back book they get a ticket marked H and for each
paperback they get one marked P. They may then look thru the books on the
tables and "spend" their tickets, the H tickets for hartdcovers, etc.
If they don't see anything to spend their tickets on, I allow them to return
at a later time.  I do stress that I can not replace lost tickets, and I
can't possibly remember who had how many tickets.  If they loose their
tickets, they don't get any books!

If a child can"t find anything he likes, and the book he brought in is still
available, he may take it back.

This activity always generates a lot of fun.  The kids get very excited, and
sometimes I find things to add to our collection.  Even the teachers bring
in books to exchange.

Hope this helps someone.

Karen DeFrank
Dorothy L. Bullock Elementary School