For those of you interested in movies with librarians in them, check out
this nifty Web site. . .

http://library.lib.binghamton.edu/staff/mraish/movies/introduction.html
LIBRARIANS IN THE MOVIES -- AN ANNOTATED FILMOGRAPHY
"This filmography is an ongoing attempt to expand our collective memory,
to find a more comprehensive and defensible basis for our acceptance or
rejection of the "typical movie librarian" -- whatever we think he or she
is. It lists over 300 Hollywood (and a few foreign) productions that in
some significant or memorable way include a library or librarian."
(Martin Raish, Librarian, Binghamton University, Binghamton NY)

And now for my own recommendation (see it if you have not already). . .
One really cool movie that has a library/librarian in it is one of my
all-time favorites, _The Shawshank Redemption_.  In it the lead character,
accountant Andy DuFrain, is an innocent man imprisoned for murder who
plots his escape over several years.  One part of his escape plan consists
of doing favors for the warden and guards (as an accountant) as well as
his fellow inmates.

Specifically, one of the favors for the inmates comes to fruition in the
form of convincing the state to donate money and materials for the
prison's very first library.  To make this happen DuFrain has to write two
letters to the state *every* week for several *years* before the state
gives in.  The library sort of becomes the prison's social center since it
introduces many recreational materials for inmates, such as books,
periodicals and records for them to listen to.  A great movie overall with
a library twist!

Gabe

GABE GANCARZ, TEACHING ASSISTANT         UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
Learning Resources [Computer] Lab              2nd-Year Student
GRAD SCHOOL OF L.I.S.                        GRADUATING MAY '98
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~gancarz/            Ph. (217) 333-9890
gancarz@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu                  Fax (217) 244-3302