--part0_894502943_boundary

From: CGOLD123 <CGOLD123@aol.com>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: flexible vs.fixed scheduling
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 09:46:27 EDT

     I am currently working on my thesis for my LMS.  I want to further
develop a very much discussed topic of fixed vs. flexible scheduling in an
elementary school library.  Do any of you know of any resources were studies
have been done or have any other information on the subject?
     I am in my tenth year as a teacher and school librarian.  I've had 18
credits in library science as an endorsement and have decided to complete my
Masters, though it is not required.  I am in a K-5 school with approximately
1200 students, no aide of any kind and I'm told that there won't be one in the
future even for 1 hour per day.  My only help are students that help shelve in
the easy and fiction section...but not the non-fiction.  I've been having 7
classes (1/2 hour each) and been open before school for checkout.  I've been
told that next year I will have 9 classes per day...there is no caring or
comprehension of all that needs to be done in the library as long as more prep
periods are fit in.  The library is also the main meeting room and twice a
week it is used for the latchkey program (bedlam!).  Most of our parents do
not speak English so they can not help with anything clerical.  Three years
ago, Title 1 was moved into the libary.  To make room for them, the card
catalog was removed...I am the only source of information for finding
books...so you can see what I am up against as far as any understanding as to
what a library should be as a research area.  If I am absent, pulled to
substitute, or if the room is needed for something else then the library is
closed.  Actually, with this fixed schedule, I am expected to turn in lesson
plans and teach library skills!
     I really need your help!  Please contact me directly at CGOLD123@AOL.COM
     Thank-you for taking the time to read of my plight...anxiously waiting
for any help I can get on my research project.
                                               Carole the librarian,
                                                             Phoenix, Arizona

--part0_894502943_boundary--