Here are some of the wonderful ideas I got for a good bye or retirement
partys.
_____________________________________

How about some sort of This-is-your-life skit where you act out
incidences in her tenure at the school? Staff members who have
been there while she was there would have some suggestions.
____________________________________

Why not do the obvious and write a book?  Have the students,
parents,employees write a page?  Photos of the principal doing
principalish :-) things can illustrate some pages.

Several years ago a favorite secretary left our school and I
wanted to come up with something different to give to her.  So, I bought
a large,  square glass candy jar with a lid and had the words "Kisses
for Caroline"  engraved on it. Then I passed small, bright colored
pieces of paper to faculty  and a number of students who wanted to
participate.  They could write anything  they wanted to
on the paper, a memory, words of caring, encouragement, whatever.
Then I collected all the papers, folded them in tiny squares and filled
the jar with them along with chocolate kisses.  To this day whenever
Caroline  sees me she tells me it was the best gift she received.
People wrote  wonderful messages, some even put in two.  She keeps it on
her desk and whenever she  needs a lift she pulls out a kiss.  I have
since used the "Kisses for ____"  idea many times
and everyone loves it.
--

When I left a school several years ago,  it was tradition
there to put together a recipe book...but not just recipes.  Each

Our principal is leaving too.  We have made several memory
books, students and staff.  For the dinner we (each grade
level) is doing a "skit".  I'm on a team that is going to
reprenet his career through music.  Macho Man for his PE years;
Greased lightening for his interest in cars.  We are looking
for a good children's song for his interest in kids.  Nothing
is sad, only funny. One day near the end of school everyone is wearing
ties and suspenders because his wears those a lot.

We are also using YMCA chaning the words to Your Major Career
Adjustment - we are having a lot of fun coming up with the
ideas!

One of the cutest things I have seen (and I could not do it myself) was
making up lyrics to sing to a popular tune.  The lyrics, of course, were
about the principal, recalling various events or
characteristics, missing them, etc.  The tune chosen was a Barry Manilow
or something similar, and then someone sang it.  Really cute!  You might
could do this with the poem that is being written.

My supervisor just retired and we got old pictures from his wife (He
didn't know...)  We had them made into buttons.  We told little
storiesand then wore the buttons!

"Education is what survives when what has been learned has been
forgotten" -- Skinner

Karen Brostad                             kbrostad@esu3.esu3.k12.ne.us
Teacher, Bennington Public Schools        402-238-2690
Bennington, Nebraska  68007