--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: lainey5@juno.com
To: MDK-12@UMDD.UMD.EDU
Cc: MDK-12@UMDD.UMD.EDU
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:41:10 -0500
Subject: Re:Choosing Software

  This is my first year as a computer teacher in a middle school.  My
school is leasing a lab of 25 state of the art PCs.  Currently the school
is using obsolete Macintosh computers.  I have been asked to suggest
software to be installed on the new network.   I am writing for some
input from other middle school teachers on what software to purchase.

 My curriculum mandates certain types of software.  I have narrowed most
of my selections to two or three titles.  Please let me know which
software you have worked with and which titles you recommend.  I really
want to avoid purchasing any "lemons".

Which  Simulation software program would you recommend?

Sim CIty 2000
          Pilgrim Quest

Oregon Trail  3
          Colony Quest

Amazon Trail

Incredible Laboratory

Civil War II: Unconditional Surrender

Sim Earth

Sim Life

Founding of America

Revolutionary Wars: Decisions, Decisions

Keyboarding software

Mavis Beacon 5.0 is my first choice.  Does anyone have any other
recommendations?

Does Hyper Studio allow students different capabilities than Power Point
on Microsoft Office would?   Would there be a reason to have both
available for multimedia presentations?

Publishing software

Microsoft Publisher   vs.  Printshop( Broderbound Publishing Library)

Reference Software

Encarta vs. Grolier

Could You recommend a good grahics software program?

I can not find Incredible Laboratory in any of my catalogs.  Is this an
older program?

Thanks for all of your help.  Any additional comments, recommendations
would be greatly appreciated.

Diane Fistek
Information Technology Teacher
Northeastern Catholic Jr. High