Hello All,

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL POST:

Well, I've been scouring the net for research models to use with our high
school students (gr 8 to 12). Alas, I've found none that seem to address
the real problem my students have with research.

Basically all the models boil down to: Find it (it=information); Read it;
Synthesize it; Present it.

It's the "synthesize" that's the toughest for students and it seems that it
is at this very point that every model I've looked at falls short. (Yes, I
know, reading is another huge issue. . .)

When I explain to students strategies for synthesis their eyes seem to
glaze over, so I'm looking for help.

If you know of a pertinent book, article, or website that addresses the
synthesis issue, I would be most grateful for the information.

*********************

HERE ARE THE RELEVANT RESPONSES:

Try this Web site for help------------>
www.education.elibrary.com/resources
************
you might want to take a look at my FLIP it! framework for Information
problem-solving.   The book is available from Linworth Publishing
(http://www.linworth.com), and there's even a link to an article about FLIP it
on their site (look for Book Report, April 1997).    I've got a website (very
much in progress) at http://www. scils.rutgers.edu/pds/techissues/flipit.html
that also gives some examples.

Your concern about the synthesize step is valid.  Part of the problem is that
teachers assume kids will know what to do with the info they find, and kids
think that if an encyc. article is what they've been looking at, then that
must be the model to follow. . .  so they copy, cut, paste, and think they're
done.   Projects need to be redesigned(by the teacher) to require critical
thinking, and 'restructuring' of information.  There are quite a few examples
in my book.
************
Robert - Try Brainstorms and Blueprints by Stripling and Pitts.
Should be available from Libraries Unlimited.
**************
Have you looked at Jamie McKenzie's model - find FromNowOn electronic
magazine on the web or the Bellingham, Washington School District site - it
might be what you are looking for.
***************
A series of steps very similar to yours is Alice Yucht's FLIP-it! You can
get her book from Linworth Publ. (sorry I don't have their address here)
or you could write to Alice (AliceInfo@aol.com) to find out about
ordering a copy. I've heard her give a presentation on this at our state
library convention, and was MOST impressed.
**************
I've never found really good resources for this, so I teach synthesizing
information by modelling.  I've made three posters, each with an excerpt
from a different source about endangered species.  I tell students that
the topic of my paper is methods of protecting endangered species. I
show them the three sources I've found and tell them that after reading
these sources, I selected the excerpts on the posters to include in my
paper.  The next step is synthesizing the information to write a
coherent paragraph.  I actually write the paragraph, thinking aloud,
writing and erasing, and asking students for help deciding how to word
it.  We even add the documentation.  I follow this by giving students
copies of three short articles and having them work in small groups to
synthesize information and write a paragraph.  This gets the basic
concept across to most students, but if you find a better method I'd
love to hear about it.
*********************
Have you looked specifically at the Big 6 research model?  Give it a try.  I'm
not sure what strategies the Big 6 web site gives, but the book by Eisenberg
and Berkowitz discusses synthesis at great length, and gives examples of
lesson
or unit plans from a variety of grade levels.
******************
I copied a short encyclopedia article related to our research topic and made
an overhead. Everyone in the class was given a copy and a highlighter. We
went through it paragraph by paragraph. I asked someone to tell us the main
sentence or phrase. We discussed why that was or wasn't the right choice and
then highlighted the one we agreed on. I modeled highlighting and margin
notes on the overhead. Then we practiced writing a group paragraph that
synthesized all the info. Then we went to the library and each student
worked on his/her own topic. I don't know about you, but I would rather have
inelegant grammar and spelling with accurate information and original
writing than a compilation of well-formed sentences copied from various
sources. We can work on the grammar and spelling after the original writing
is done.
****************
Robert, why not add another step: Summarize, before Synthesize.  I
find many people (adults, too) who can't give a short summary of what
they read. How can someone bring ideas together, if they can't
describe it in the first place?

For the summary, individual style should work. Some people do well
writing short notes about a topic, others do better making an
outline. Putting the notes/outlines together into a coherent whole
would be synthesis. Then they can Present it.

*******************

FINAL REMARKS:

Thanks to all who responded; obviously this is an issue and those who
described their solutions are doing (although much better) basically what I
do, viz. "model it". Although this is better than nothing, it 'feels' like
a drop in the bucket, hence my original post. (I get the same feeling when
I teach problem solving to a math class: a  vain hope that watching me do
it will somehow rub off.)

I have not had time yet to pursue some of the suggested leads. If someone
finds a "eureka" out there, please let us know!

Regards,
Robert.

Robert Hiebert, Librarian
Golden Secondary School