Ah, the irony.  I would like to publicly thank one of you in particular
for immediately correcting my own gaff.  Also, I would like to apologize.
I am quite embarrassed about it (though I am glad that the issue has at
least come up).  There I was. .  .preaching about correct grammar,
spelling, and typos. . .Here is my own mistake-laden sentence (again, how
ironic), followed by a correction:

I said:

"After all, everyone is judged by the way they speak and they way they
write."

It should have been written like this:

"After all, everyone is judged by the way he or she speaks and writes."

I think the jury is about to hang me :-)

Finally, I would like to make it clear that I was not mocking Bill in any
way.  I was agreeing with him wholeheartedly, in fact.  My first sentence
was simply meant to inject a bit of humor, but some found this less than
funny: "Amen!  We need to show that we are competant, um, I mean competent
:-)"

It's not the first time that I've made a fool out of myself on LM_NET.
Last spring, I claimed that it was impossible to telnet while using AOL
because an AOL tech-support person told me so on the phone. Needless to
say, I was immediately corrected by fellow LM_NETters who were much more
experienced with AOL than me (I simply did not know what I was talking
about).  I immediately admitted that mistake to the group as well.

Again, I apologize.  This all reminds me of a certain listserv joke that I
forwarded to LM_NET a while back.  I guess the joke is on me now :-)

<laughs at self>

Gabe "Call me Dan Quayle" Gancarz ;-)
GABE GANCARZ, Assistant Librarian
Glenbard East High School
Lombard, IL
gancarz@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mac G3/OS 8.5, Netscape 4.06/Netscape Mail