ate:    Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:18:10 -0500
                 From:    Chaney-Hulten <deweyx2@SNET.NET>
                 Subject: REF: (?) - short story title

Julie Hulten wrote:

                 Querying the collective genius (and memory) of LM_NET...

                 [snip]

                        I recently visited an art museum which has a
painting by Thomas Cole
                 entitled "A view of the mountain pass called the Notch of
the White
                 Mountains (Crawford Notch)" - it depicts the scene of
(according to the
                 museum info) an incident which took place in NH in the
early 1800's.  So
                 the story goes, the family lived in the area and was often
in danger of
                 landslides.  The man of the house had a small cabin built
off to the
                 side of the rocks' path where he was sure that his family
would be safe.
                 As "luck" would have it, there was a landslide which for
some reason
                 did not take the expected path, the family fled to the
cabin and was
                 wiped out, their house remained standing.

                 The question is...I "KNOW" I read a short story in English
class that
                 concerned this very event.

[snip]

                 I thought it might be Nathanial Hawthorne, but efforts to
locate the
                 story have proved fruitless...plus my english teachers
assure me it is
                 not a Hawthorne story.

                 If you recognize the story, I'd appreciate a e-note...

[snip]
                 Thanks!!!!!!!

                 Julie Hulten
                 Sheehan HS
                 Wallingford, CT 06492
                 deweyx2@snet.net

Chris writes:

I was thrilled to receive this in LM digest this morning.  You see, I live
about an hour away from the southern end of Crawford Notch, and this summer
my wife and I -- sans children, who were at camp -- traveled through the
notch and took lots of pictures and did a bit of exploring.

Yes, the story to which you refer is called "The Great Carbuncle,' is
indeed by Hawthorne (in Twice Told Tales and other collections).  I refer
you and anyone interested to Lucy Crawford's History of the White Mountains
(1978 ; Appalachian Mountain Club) which I used this morning to refresh my
memory.

Yes, The Willey family lived in a small house at the foot of a steep cliff
just south of the Notch itself.  One night they heard the landslide and ran
for their lives.  They were killed.  If they had stayed in the house they
would have been safe;  the rockslide went on both sides of the house but
left the house itself untouched.

Regards all my friends and colleagues on LM-NET!

Chris Finer, LMG
Library Media Program
Newfound Regional High School
Bristol, NH