Dear Netters:

We know this and it's good to hear when others do too, especially those
from the technology camp.

Sylvia

The following is a brief excerpt from the November issue.
For the full text visit http://fromnowon.org

       From Now On
       The Educational Technology Journal

        Vol 8|No 3|November|1998

              Learning Digitally

               by Jamie McKenzie

        The arrival of networks and electronic information could
        bring about a major improvement in the ability of students to
        read, write and reason. Schools and homes now have tools and
        resources available which might transform learning into
        something more enticing, more valuable and more widespread.

        Unfortunately, these wonders will not happen simply because
        we buy and install networks. They will not occur because we
        place laptops on children's laps. Learning digitally will
        only transform schools and student performance if we make
        wise program decisions, invest mightily in professional
        development and emphasize strategic teaching.

        Disclaimer:
        Books, Librarians and Libraries are still vital!

        Even though digital resources and networking may eventually
        transform how students think, communicate and solve problems,
        it must be noted up front that we shall still require good
        books, librarians and libraries for the foreseeable future to
        balance electronic sources and help us find our way.

        We have seen that information literacy is a critically
        important element in the successful introduction of networked
        information (FNO, September, 1998). We need educators with a
        strong sense of information science to help every student and
        every teacher acquire good navigating and interpretive
        skills.

        There is entirely too much talk about replacing librarians,
        books and libraries with the Internet. This is folly.
        Madness. Intellectual disarmament. The free Internet, while
        vast in size, is plagued with weaknesses when it comes to
        disorganization, reliability and quality.

        Even though it might be madness, there are hundreds of
        schools across North America which have furloughed the
        librarian and replaced them with computer teachers and the
        Internet. This is a dangerous trend which makes absolutely no
        sense for an Age of Information. At the same time that
        students need radically stronger information skills, some
        schools and districts are dismantling the programs which
        might equip them.

        How may learning change with the addition of rich
        information and powerful tools?

        (Continued at http://fromnowon.org)

Jamie McKenzie
Editor - "From Now On - The Educational Technology Journal"

mckenzie@fromnowon.org            http://fromnowon.org

500 Fifteenth Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 647-8759
"The question is the answer."  "Hits are not Truth."

Sylvia Jacquard
Teacher-Librarian
Central Kings Rural High School
Cambridge Station, N.S.