Following are some of the suggestions I received.  Thank you for your help!
 I found a combination of things which might work.

We give students who have achieved 25 points a certificate allowing them
to check out an additional book.  When they get to 50, the certificate if
for two additional books.For every AR test passed, a student can place
his/her name and room number
in a box for a weekly drawing (1 box for each grade level).  I pick two
names each Friday.  Those children receive a free paperback book of their
choice from those that I have selected from our Book Fair. Once a month I
select a third name and that person gets an AR insulated water bottle.
For one month any classroom that gets over a certain number of points (our
teachers selected 100 points this year) receives a cookies and milk treat
from the LMC.
You might want to get some autographed copies of books and use those as a
possible giveaway, as well.
Also for a week or so give a peppermint to anyone passing an AR test.
Our hightest point getter for each grade level get a $25.00 gift
certificate
to our local bookstore.

I ran across one elementary school back when I was in book sales that
didn't
give out prizes.  Instead, each student was given a leather bracelet.  When
the student reached their point goal, they received a blue bead.  For every
10 points, a red bead.  At twenty points they got a blue bead.  At fifty
points a silver bead, and 100 points a gold bead.  Students kept their
bracelets all through elementary school and kept adding to them.  If you
think about it, it's similar to boy and girl scouts working so hard to get
those badges.  It's not how much it costs, but the value placed on it by
other students and teachers.

We have a Wall of Fame where student
pictures are posted at 25 points, 50 points, 100 points, etc.  (I think the
primary teachers do a separate wall for 5 points, 10 points.)  WE are a K-6
school.  When the pictures are posted, the students also get a ribbon with
our school name, Accelerated REader and the number of points.  I ordered
these from Kipp Bros.  The students are also featured on our morning tv
announcements.  At various times during the year (like this week which is
Children's Book Week) I run little incentives, like on Friday I'm having a
pizza lunch for the students in each class who have the highest % of goal
achieved.  I also have a traveling trophy which I pass along every other
week to the class that has the highest % correct on their tests.  In the
spring, we have a swim party for the students who have achieved a certain #
of points in a 4 week period--the # depends on what grade they are in.
These points have to be at 80% correct.  Our principal has challenged the
school that if we reach our goal, he will dress as an Indian and have his
face painted by some of the top students. (Our school mascot is an Indian).
 He also gets his tie cut off for every 1000 points we achieve.  The
teachers also do some small things for their class as the students achieve

We give students who have achieved 25 points a certificate allowing them
to check out an additional book.  When they get to 50, the certificate if
for two additional books.

We are trying this year to offer  the reward "Principal for the day" for
those who have earned a large amount of points.

Each week I announce the top team. I also write little notes on the team
reports that go out to the teachers. I brag on people and teams who are
doing well to all the other classes.

I do a pizza party for the top three teams each trimester. Only students
with an actual score gets to come--no freeloading for those on the team
with zeros. I give each partygoer a free book, and we have pizza, sodas,
and cookies. I usually have them bring their pizza invitation which has
their name on it, to put into a drawing. I give away a bag with some
goodies in it.

At 10 points they get a coupon to come in and print a color printout from
the computer.

At 25 points, they get a free book. I haven't had to deal with anything
above 25 yet, we are only in our first year.

We don't have AR, but at my sister's school, they earn dollars and then are
allowed to spend them at a school store - books, donated items, etc. at
various price levels.

This year we are having students set goals.  Class with highest percentage
of their goal for the quarter gets a pizza party.  Top 35 point earners
will be invited to a "tea" with a local author.  Dori Sanders who wrote
"Clover" which was made into a Hallmark Hall of Fame video also wrote a
cookbook.  We'll use recipes from that book for the food.

Not to sound like a broken record, or to give you information on something
you
probably already know but...
all the research shows that the closer the reward is to the desired
behavior,
then the higher the chance of success with whatever  the behavior  is that
you
are trying to change.  Since you are trying to create lifelong readers....

...how about books for rewards?  If money is a problem (and when isn't it)
have a bookfair and get your profit in books...there you go!!!

And there you have it!  You guys are the best!

Sue Taylor
Teacher Librarian
West Ottawa Public Schools
Holland, MI    bookwmn@iserv.net