HALLOWEEN INDOOR LIBRARY CAMPFIRE
        This has been one of my best activities for years and I use it when
I do non-school Halloween performances in a large room with no fixed seats.
In my library I move all tables to the perimeter of the room and put some
tables upside down on others to make more space if needed.  I stack most of
the chairs but leave some around the perimeter for adults or folks with a
good excuse not to sit on the carpet (or old quilts, etc.spread out in a
semi-circle). I'm on a chair at the mouth of the U.
        Of course, all shades are pulled down and lights turned off.  You
might place a lit pumpkin nearby (with candle or other light source).  I
often use a ceramic skull and a candle in a clear glass holder within.  If
you have younger students who scare more easily, leave one light on the
farthest away possible.

Campfire Type One:
        Buy  lots of tea or similar votive candles at dollar stores.  Find
someone with a large pizza tray or make a tray with aluminum foil over a
large plastic tray or a large cardboard circle.   Place several candles
(I've used 2-3 dozen) about 1-2 inches apart  in the center of the tray.
Light them using longer oven matches from the inside out.  Lay down the
law!  Everyone must sit at least a few feet away from the tray!  The tea
candles only last about one 45 minute period.  Other types last a bit
longer. Have a reserve ready. ff your school administration screams that
you're violating the local fire code....then...

Campfire Type Two:
        Materials - Strobe light, cellophane sheets in campfire colors
(orange, red, yellow, purple), 3 cardboard mailing tubes in different
diameters,  picture mounting tape squares from 3M, large pizza tray or
circle of cardboard covered with heavy duty aluminum foil, extension cord

        Buy the strobe light  at a local store or from U.S Toy, Paradise
Products (party stuff), or Oriental Trading. Slice the mailing tubes in
half, cover them with "simulated wood" contact paper or paint them to look
like wood (brown tempera?),  hook the strobe light to the extension cord.
Set the strobe light to a slow speed.  Place it on its back, light up, on
the tray.  Criss cross the fake "logs " over and around the strobe, using
mounting tape between logs to hod them in place.  Take the cellophane paper
and stuff it between the logs letting it stick out here and there.  Turn
off the room lights and turn on the strobe.  Voila!  Instant campfire!

        * CHECK QUIETLY WITH THE TEACHER OF EACH CLASS, ESPECIALLY SPECIAL
ED., AS TO WHETHER ANYONE HAS SEIZURES! Such students must sit with their
backs or sides to the campfire and not look at it directly.  Strobe lights
can set off seizures!
        I save my voice by having a phonograph and/or cassette tape
recorder available and recordings of  terrific storytellers with spooky
tales, and singers with hilarious songs which I sprinkle  around my live
repertoire. I do  milder and sillier stories, songs, chants, and games with
younger children.  I also do many pieces with audience involvement,
including story creation.
        If anyone wants a list of the recordings I use and some of the
pieces I perform, let me know1
                                                        Sandy P. from Philly
Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
236 E.Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA  19120
spomeran@phila.k12.pa.us

"It's got to be the going not the gettin' there that's good." Harry Chapin
in song "Take the Greyhound"
"But then, you could go both ways!"  Scarecrow in movie "The Wizard of Oz"

Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
236 E. Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA 19120
(215) 456-3037

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to