Friends:
        In various ways, "for-profit" issues have been raised, here on
LM_NET, over the last several months.  In assessing the truth behind such
enterprises as  various youth-focused advertising ventures, "Edison
schools," and issues reflected by on-going posts which reveal concerns
about parasites seeking, unscrupulously, to glom funds from schools, (to
include unsolicited product mailings and the practice of luring and
entrapping our kids into participating in door-to-door fund-raising
activities), I offer the following observations, for what they may be
worth.

                                For the Profit of us All

        Education is essential to one's wellbeing, is it not?  Therefore,
anyone seeking to financially PROFIT through purporting to support the
education of our youth, admits, outright, that their selfish, profit-driven
motive and purpose is in conflict with actually, responsibly, honorably,
concernedly, rationally acting in the best interest of our kids.  Thus,
their purpose and motive, at base, are in conflict with actually assisting
in the genuine education and well-being of others.
        The word is exploitation, is it not?
        That anyone would then conceive of supporting such an oxymoronic
sham as "for-profit education," and the fact that many, through its various
seductive forms, do routinely, electively act, is an indication of just how
far astray we have gone from the not-for-profit BUSINESS of sustaining
humanity, by knowing to properly honor ourselves through investing in our
kids.
        To my mind, humanity was never intended to have a profit motive, folks.
        The two are mutually exclusive.
        Thanks for accommodating my voice.
        Take care.

JEK

*****
        " . . . A translation of this deep space (anthropological?)
communication reads:
        ' . . . It is quite evident, looking back over that final period,
that humanity had long since disappeared before the last human specimen
actually succumbed.  The intervening time was filled with actions and
behaviors which no reasoning soul could interpret as having borne even the
remotest connection with true humanity. . .  .'
        "Of course, that's obviously a politicized translation.  The idea
that these beings were actual humans belongs in the realm of the
fantastic."
                 --from a book never written, and preferably never to be
written.

Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick
Present Occupation: Self employed at freely sharing (in Aurora, CO)
e-mail address: jeffkirk@sni.net

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to