Thank you to Gary and Mike.  I sat four chairs to the right of Mike.  He
and most of the audience was nodding and agreeing with Gary throughout
the speech.  Now let us get out there and help ourselves by training the
new teachers (don't forget the "old") while still in college how to
effectively use the library, before we get them in the trenches and have
to try to hook them, when only our beady little eyes are showing above
the water!

The other part...

One of my "old teachers" wasn't really into the computer stuff, so when
the internet came into the library I did some searching on the Grateful
Dead, very sneaky, but VERY effective.  Once I found some really
interesting and COOL sites, during his prep period I went and got him.
I said I found something really interesting I thought he should come
see.  He followed me down the hall and I showed him the basics of how to
get around in the sites and then disappeared to do something.  He used
up his entire time that day and came back for many more to search his
favorite group.  He finally informed me that if I saw him coming through
the door any day that week I was to kick him out he had too much to
do!!!  He became very good at searching and using the internet.  When I
had other students in working, he was very helpful locating sites they
could use.

Use their interests outside of school to hook them, then slowly reel
them in, by showing them how easy it is to find lesson plans and things
to help them in the classroom.

Jean
--

R. Jean Gustafson
Librarian     A.K.A.  "Queen of Shelvie Things"