I sent a response to Sandy  via reply mail but it bounced back as
undelieverable.

While I have a great deal of respect for Dr. Dana, I can't agree with Sandy
more. There appear to be two kinds of librarians out there these days -
those who believe the only good library is a quiet one and those who
understand that we are competing against a great deal of outside stimuli.

When children were not as "sophisticated" as they are now, it was enough to
say "Sit down. Be quiet. Learn." Now I find I need to be as much a
showperson as a Alex Trebek. I expect proper behavior and I model proper
behavior, but I also know my kids respond better and learn more if there is
a bit of entertainment in what I do. I use my forte (storytelling) as a
reward for great behavior. Believe me THAT is not quiet!!!!  In some
stories, there is loads of participation that I want from them.

 My 8 week Dewey lesson and game is an excellent example. The actual game
itself becomes a bit noisy at times as the teams cheer each other on and
confer on correct responses. But the middle school librarians could always
tell which kids came from my school. They knew what they were doing in the
non-fiction section.

Of course, this is only my humble opinion ...

Best

Now proudly serving Sand Ridge Elementary School, Swansboro NC -
The newest school in Onlsow County North Carolina now on line at:
http://sandridge.swansboro.k12.nc.us

T. K. Cassidy, MLIS -     tkc@storylady.com
                                         http://www.storylady.com
Winner - Maga'lahi Award for Excellence in the Humanities

Remember - as long as the world spins, we will all be dizzy and make
mistakes! :-)