BEGIN HIT PART 3:

----------

I'm not there now, so I'm not sure how study hall drop-ins are being
handled, but I 'll tell you what we did for about 3 years before I left.
It works pretty well.  We kept having students escape study hall to come
to the library, and sometimes they came, sometimes they just left the
building!  Hence, I had much cooperation from the office for my plan.

We had so many students who hate study hall leave to come to the library
that we finally made a rule that *if* they need library materials (books,
computers, etc.), they can come to the library.  However, IF they were
studying or just doing homework (mostly talking) that could be done in
study hall (no need for library materials), we sent them back.  I
circulated around the library several times each period just to make sure.

Also, if there was more talking going on than studying, I had a form that
had that written. All I had to do was check the appropriate box, write the
date and time and sign it and give it to the student as a pass back to
study hall.  The study hall teacher had to put a time on it, sign it, and
put it in my box. That way we both were sure that the student got back to
class in a timely manner.  The document gave two places to check:  (1.)
The library is too crowded with scheduled classes to have room for
drop-ins - Sorry! and (2.)  The student is spending more time talking than
getting his/her work done.

Another device was to issue passes from the library.  The office supported
this, too.  If a student wanted to use the library during study hall,
he/she had to come to the library well BEFORE study hall (either the day
before or the morning before) and get a pass from us saying that we grant
permission for him/her to come. Then all the study hall teacher had to do
was put a time and initials on it and let the student leave.  When
students asked us for a pass, we checked our calendar to see how many
classes were scheduled to determine whether we could give the pass or not.
If the chances of being overcrowded were "iffy", we would tell the student
we would issue the pass, but we *might* have to send them back if the
scheduled classes took up too much room.

Most students are very cooperative if they aren't given the rules from a
hostile librarian or aide. They understand when places are crowded.  After
I sent a few back for talking instead of working *consistently*, word got
around that I would stick to my guns and they quit challenging the rules
quite so much.

I always sent the students back unobtrusively with the note. I never
shouted across the room telling students they were talking too much and to
get back to study halls. They respected my wishes because I showed respect
to them.

Good luck! It's a tiring thing to have to deal with!

budget and the principal supplies our study hall with basic reference
materials -- dictionaries, thesaurus, almanac, paperback student atlas.
We also have five computers for wordprocessing in study hall.

The first year we got a bit of flack, mainly from the study hall monitor
who wanted to dump her problems on the media center and from a few problem
students. Our teachers were very supportive and class use shot way up.
Our principal's attitude is that the school pays for a study hall monitor,
so why should media center staff deal with floating students?  We're
usually crowded with students who have work to do.

----------

My school is a lot smaller than yours and I definitely limit how many
students can come in from Study Hall.  We allow only 5 from each study
hall.  Usually we have about 15 students in here in an hour which is
plenty.  If allowed the teachers would have 10 kids in here but then they
wouldn't have anyone left in their study halls.

I have had some flack at times but I really can't handle tons of students
in here at the same time. Why should my library have more kids in then
their study hall?  If some of the students really need to get in here to
use a computer and the pass is full the study hall teacher can call me and
ask if I have additional room.

The only hours I turn extra students away is when another teacher has
reserved the use of the computers or if it is the last hour of the day (20
plus kids just waiting for the last bell to ring is enough to drive anyone
crazy!)  I have support from administration because they see how crazy it
gets in here!

----------

> Do you limit the number of students who come to your library as an
> alternative to staying in their study halls?

Yes, a limit of 5 per classroom, all cut off when full.

> If so, has this policy of limitation had any negative impact on library
> PR with students, teachers, or administrators in your school?

Generally not.  The seating area is limited, and it is obvious that there
is no more room.  Administrators sometimes fuss, but I insist that they
come down and count the empty seats themselves...they do, and find none,
and that ends the matter.

> Has it been well worth it for you to limit, regardless of any flack you
> may have received at one time or another?

Yes.  It is a bit hard to visualize, but seating is limited and very
spread out.  When I am working with a class, I cannot supervise walk-ins
too.  When my clerk is at lunch I am it. (I don't get a lunch.)  I can't
be everywhere.  When people fuss, I ask two questions:  1) Did you get a
prep period today?  2) Did/do you get lunch today?  That usually stops
them dead in their tracks!

> I work in the library of a suburban high school of 2,400 students.

2,700 here.  Me and a FT clerk.

----------

The study hall "teacher" here is great when it comes to deciding which
students come to the library. They are not allowed to come to "mess
around" and she's pretty perceptive. I love to have students in here, but
I do insist they at least look busy - reading a book or magazine is fine.
They may come from study hall to check out magazines for that period or to
check out books - study hall is connected by a door to the library.

When a teacher allows a student out of his class, the student has to bring
a hall pass, and he usually has a good reason.  My school is much smaller
than yours, so I'm sure there are many differences - we have under 500
students in a high school...

END HIT PART 3