Greetings this beautiful Fall Saturday! I'm still awaiting move-in to my
new library and working ala cart. Frustrating rethinking and thinking of
lessons for the full 45 minutes - and some of our classes are huge this
year (26-27 first graders!)  Wanted to share some fun that worked
though... I read toads and Diamonds by Charlotte Huck to first graders
who then had 10 minutes to plow through lots of good Housekeeping type
of old magazines and cut out pictures of what they want to fall from
THEIR lips when they do a good deed! Very successful and memorable.
Fourth grade loves The man who tricked a ghost by Yep - then they had to
plan a mask, ala the idea from the book that a ghost can change form
into ANY strange or frightening creature!  Fifth grade got Cyclops by
Fisher and then brainstormed all the things that Oddysseus saw, felt,
tasted, smelled and heard while he was a prisoner in the cave.... First
also created haunted houses (because poor Georgie needed a house to
haunt.  It was a very stimulating acitivity as it lead to them creating
their OWN stories about their drawings of haunted houses.  Am pondering
November as book month and concentrating on genres and parts of books
and making books and even making paper with 5th grade... Have a happy
Halloween.
Patty Melville MLS
Pittsfield MA elem schools
tunas3@bcn.net