Several weeks ago I asked for feedback on what was proper with
regard to single license CD ROM programs.  Could a program be installed
on more than one computer?  Could it be uninstalled from machine one and
then reinstalled on machine two?  I received a small number of replies
and then put in out again and got a few more.  The book a number of
people recommended on the subject is "Copyright for School Libraries" by
Carol Mann Simpson.  I have not yet gotten my hands on the book.  But
from what I've been told, loading even a portion of a program on another
computer is illegal.
     Our District is putting forth a policy that will be part of our
acceptable use agreement.  Basically what is says is that aingle license
CD ROM may be installed on one and only one computer...period.  No
doubt, we will be now trying to buy lab-packs.  It was further suggested
that those with computers list on the side of each monitor what CD's are
for use with that machine.
     Some wrote to me saying that at their schools they do circulate
CD's and have teachers uninstall it before returning it to the library.
Others said that they install single use CD's on as many computers as
they want.  They feel it is OK, since you need the CD to run it anyway.
Neither of these practices will be allowed in my district. I believe
these practices represent a violation of the CD license agreement.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Lucy Jerue
Librarian
Reeds Road School
PO Box 768
Absecon, NJ 08201
609-748-0100
ljerue@worldnet.att.net

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to