Dear Colleagues:  This is my first posting of a message so I hope I get it
right. I just joined and I'm having a great time seeing how many queries I
can try to assist.  Let me tell you about my self so you can call on me if
you think I might be a resource.
I am a middle school librarian in Philadelphia - 31 1/2 years with
district, librarian since 2/75.  I'm also an entertainerand workshop
presenter, primarily for kids, families, and colleagues.  I do
storytelling, play the guitar and sing traditional, contemporary and
original folksongs, involved with puppetry, post grad work in folklore,
creative dramatics, etc.
I'd like to present a few TARGETS:
 TARGET 1 - Flexible Scheduling.  I'd like to hear how other schools, with
or without Library Power, have managed to ease into partial or full
flexible scheduling.  I have obstacles such as a small library space - big
enough for one full class (33) at one end of the room and tables and
carrels for up to 20 more individual students or small groups at the other
with little space between, leading to noise distractions from either side.
Then I am librarian to 1100 students, 1/4 of whom walk a block over from an
annex building.  Because there are 38 classes I have an A/B week schedule
and see them all twice a month. With 5 lunch periods a week and 7 prep
periods, I have about 12 open periods remaining for which teachers sign to
bring kids for research or enrichment utilizing my knowledge and talents.
Periods are about 47 min., and there are 8 daily.  Now, if I go to flexible
scheduling, what can I do about the kids in the annex building not having
regular access to book circulation? I have enough troubles getting overdue
books back from the Annex students with their regular visits.  My principal
and vice-principals are open to change, but I have to present ideas around
these problems.  Let me know what you do and/or what you might suggest and
I'll summarize the HITs and post them soon.

TARGET 2:  I'm on the PR committee of my state Lib. Assoc. and I've got
them interested in bombarding Disney about the fact that for 8 years they
have presented an annual "Salute to the American Teacher Awards" program
live on the Disney Channel, and LIBRARIANS have not been included.  They
have 12 categories including separate ones for Coach and Phys. Ed./Health
Teacher; they have lower and upper elementary grade categories, etc., but
they seem to think LIBRARIANS MUST NOT BE TEACHERS worthy of inclusion.  3
teachers in each category are chosen from hundreds nominated from around
the countryand they spend a week as guests at Epcot Center ending with the
big night and presenters like Oprah Winfrey and Don Johnson. They and their
schools get monetary awards. One of each group of three is chosen (may I
have the envelope, please)as Science Teacher of the Year, etc. and at the
end the 36 vote for a colleague as overall Teacher-of-the-Year.  I have
e-mailed them several times suggesting they add one more category and call
the change a "Teacher's Dozen" They keep brushing me off with a basic form
reply that they appreciate my comments and are sending it to the
appropriate committee. For several YEARS that's
the reply. Moreover, in a past Disney Channel Magazine, the channel
president published a letter in which he bragged how "Disney supports
libraries!" followed by a reminder to tune in the awards. PLEASE, we need
all the PR we can get.  This show would afford greater visibility for our
profession.  They show a short videotape of each nominee in action.  Let me
know what you think and I'll POST the summary of the HITS.  How about
getting your state and local association involved in a letter-writing and
e-mail campaign??

TARGET 3:  Have any of you tried some successful (or not) lessons or
activities in your library using Cooperative Learning??  There's almost
nothing on this anywhere in library literature on the WEB!  I just took 2
courses - one in Cooperative Learning and the other on Cooperative Research
and Inquiry which was taught through Coop. Learning techniques.  I want to
use it a great deal to move from too much lecturing and more
student-centered stuff.  Let me know how you use Cooperative Learning and
I'll summarize your replies and POST the HITS.
Thanks a lot!  Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian, Central East Middle School,
spomeran@phila.k12.pa.us

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to