Subject: International Friendship Day - Request

This message was originally distributed 18 August 1998.  If you missed it
then, and would still like to participate, please feel free to do so.   GRB

Repeated message:
Good morning Colleagues:

 Cynthia Goh,  the Principal of Westlake Secondary School in Singapore
contacted me through a friend in IASL recently.   Are there any Manitoba or
Ontario teacher-librarians who would like to participate in this activity,
and who would please contact Ms Goh directly.  I hope we will have a good
representation.   Please send you messages as soon as possible, so they can
be posted in the school in advance of the event.

Feel free to forward this message to others whom you think might like to
participate.

Many thanks.            Gerald Brown

Message:

RE: INTERNATIONAL FRIENDSHIP DAY

        Westlake Secondary School, along all schools in Singapore will be
celebrating International Friendship Day on 4 September.  IFD is celebrated
annually in Singapore.

        The Theme for IFD this year is "Singapore wants to be friends with
all countries which want to be friend with us".  We want our students to be
aware that they are part of a global community.   Apart from the
reinforcement of the awareness, we also hope to remind them of the
responsibility of being a useful member  the global community.

        Westlake Secondary School is a co-educational school with a student
population of 776.  The students are aged 12 - 18. We have Chinese
Singaporeans, Indian Singaporeans, Malay Singaporeans, Eurasian
Singaporeans, Cambodians, Indonesians, Malaysians, Thai and Nepalese,
Taiwanese students.

        They graduate after four or five years of education by sitting for
the GCE Ordinary or Normal Level examinations.  We have a teaching staff
strength of 47 and a non-teaching strength of 17.  The formal curriculum is
from 7.25 am to 1.30 pm and this is followed by extra-curricular activities,
remedial programmes, enrichment programmes, etc after 1.30 pm.

        This year, as part of the activities for IFD, we decided to use the
internet:  an arena which knows no boundaries for brotherhood.  What better
way to promote IFD!  Hence our message to all our contacts to help us get
messages of friendship.

        I am using my e-mail address as the contact source for friendship
messages to Westlake.  Thus, I would be glad if the messages of firendship
could be addressed to:
        Staff and students of Westlake Secondary School, Singapore.
        E mail:  Cynthia_GOH@MOE.gov.sg

        If you or your students have time, we would like to learn a little
about our friends who are sending the messages:  their school and
programems, their customs, national dress, music, climate at the moment,
their concerns, etc.

        If there is any school or teacher, who  would like to establish a
continuing the friendship and contact beyond IFD we would be most willing to
participate.

        Regards and thanks for the interest.

        Cynthia  Goh
        Principal
        Westlake School
        Singapore
        E mail:  Cynthia_GOH@MOE.gov.sg

-----980818

        Gerald R. Brown,
         Consultant, Library & Information Services,
        Education for Development Co-ordinator, UNICEF-MANITOBA,
        Researcher, Organization for Cooperation in Overseas            Development,
        & Honorary Ambassador,
                International Association of School Librarianship
        c/o 3403 - 55 Nassau Street North
        Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3L 2G8   Canada
        Phone & Fax: 204 - 284 - 5620
        E mail: browner@cyberspc.mb.ca
       Web site for IASL: http://www.hi.is/~anne/iasl.html

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to