In my first year as a school librarian I filled in for a wonderful librarian
as she took a sabatical year. She had been president of our profession
organization and had a great deal to offer. One of the lessons I learned from
the way her library worked (absolutely everything had a system and everything
was on file) was the importance of a newsletter. I made copies of her back
issues and continued to publish. The staff looked forward to them. For the
last seven years I have issued them in my own school. Here is a partial list
of what they miight contain:

special library events (read alouds, contests, speakers, etc.)
new books (sometimes with annotations)
contests sponsored by others
how some research groups have been using the library
media notes (upcoming programs related to the curriculum)
public television programs for the month related to curriculum listed by
subject
quizzes
appropriate cartoons
notice of local events especially those at the public library and historical
society
pleas for help in getting overdue books back to the library
notices for conferences
library scheduling information
student book reviews
etc., etc., etc.

I do not double side the pages because I ask teachers to post the notices in
their classrooms for the students.

Once you've done couple with a word processing or publishing program, it is
not a terrible chore. I keep a folder for the bulletin in which I place ides
for what I should include in the next issue. When I am ready I grab the folder
and go for it.

Hildegard N. Pleva, LMS
Linden Avenue Middle School, Red Hook, New York
hpleva@aol.com

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to