Salutations,
(Sorry, I'm reading Charlotte's Web again.)

I had to respond to this thread.  I am working a paid internship at my college
graduate library.  Don't think that your "print before you think" problem is
limited to those younger than 18.  I supervise the use of 32 public terminals
and 4 print stations.  Printing is free.

In my 15 months on the job, I have had people print up:

James Joyce's Ulysses
The Bible  (twice because it didn't come up within two minutes the 1st time)
Pride and Prejudice
King Lear  (The student was disappointed that he could not find an "English
                                                translation")
Huck Finn

We own multiple copies of each of these in print.

the US Code (The student blamed me because it was spread among several
                                                thousand pages instead of on just
one.  I told him, and I quote,
                                        "Listen, I know the physical resemblence is
amazing, but I am not
                                        Janet Reno, but I'm sure I could find her
address if you want to
                                        write her."  Law Students--they're a breed
apart)

The best part are those who send literally hundreds of jobs to the printer and
leave   and the poor soul who sits down at that terminal next has to wait for
hours for their print job.  Or those people who rifle through the jobs on the
printer looking for theirs and mixing up everybody else's in the process.

Dawn Sardes
MLS Student at SUNY Buffalo
Dmsardes@aol.com