Automation System Choice

Librarians Happy with Choice of Automation System--Alexandria

Previously I posted messages that the librarians in San Antonio ISD (a very
large district-93 schools) were given the opportunity to have a voice in the
choice of updating the automation systems (currently using Follett's Unison)
in the libraries as part of the Y2K solution for SAISD.  A committee of
eleven librarians representing high schools, middle schools, and elementary
schools were given the task of evaluating the automation systems available
that met the technical requirements of our networking department, the
monetary requirements of the district, and very importantly, the needs of
the students and librarians.  Our charge from the technology department was
to involve all librarians in the choice.  To accomplish this huge task took
a tremendous effort from all librarians in the district as the process began
September 16, 1998 and the final selection had to be ready to go to the
board on March 29, 1999.

The committee prepared a RFP that was sent to all automation vendors posted
on the state library's automation page.  Seven vendors from the lengthy list
sent proposals.  The librarian committee evaluated the responses and
presented three systems (Alexandria, Follett, and Winnebago) for all the
librarians to view.  The district supported the release of all librarians
for one and a half days (each presentation was allowed 3 ½ hrs.) to attend
demonstrations provided by the three vendors. The librarians rotated in
small groups (no more than 25 in a group) through the vendor presentations
with a checklist in hand.  To be eligible to vote, the librarian had to
attend all three presentations. Following the third presentation, the votes
were cast.  A Texas-size majority of librarians selected Companion's program
Alexandria.  On March 29, the librarians turned out in force at the board
meeting to show support for the selection of Alexandria.  When one board
member asked the librarians if this was the system they wanted, the
enthusiastic, loud "YES" response put an end to the questioning and the
selection was approved.

If anyone would like greater details about the process the librarians
followed, I would be glad to respond to your email.

Sandy Scroggs
Librarian
Kate Schenck Elementary School
San Antonio, TX