Here are some of the responses that I received concerning extended
library hours.  There were so many that I will have to share a few at
a time.  Thanks again to all of you who helped in this quest!

Our school has extended hours.  Our high school is located in suburban
Philadelphia and we have 3 librarians in the high school of 3,000
(10-12).  Our hours for staff are staggered so that one of us works
from
7-2:30, 7:30-3, 8-3:30.  The hours of the library are:
Monday 7:10-4
Tuesday 7:10-3:20
Wednesday 7:10-3:20; 7-9 p.m.
Thursday 7:10-4
Friday 7:10-2:30 (staff meeting on Fridays and clean up!)
It is very successful and last night for example we had 56 students
till
4.  As librarians we rotate the extended hours and are paid the
contractual fee.  We have an aide also that works for whatever their
hourly salary is.

Any questions, email me directly!

Thanks
Shirley LeClerc, Librarian
North Penn High School
Lansdale, PA

Hello
I work in a 9-12 high school and our schedul is 7:30-3:30 M-F and
7:30-5:30
on Tuesdays.  The school day runs 7:50-2:30.  During very busy parts
of the
year,(the busiest time for me is right before the science fair), the
long
day is worthwhile, but most of the year on Tuesdays, I only end up
staying
until 4:15.  The students know that if they have not come in by then,
that I
may not stay.  My hours are the hours the library is open, except on
Tuesdays, my hours are 9:30-5:30.  But I usually come in early anyway
and
use the extra time to catch up on work.  I think I may ask to switch
the
time to 4:30 or 5:00, 5:30 is just too late for me and most of the
time not
really taken advantage of.  I do not get extra pay, but I can come in
late
on the long days if I want to.  This is nice when I need to do an
errand in
the morning...But I think overall it is not really effective.
Hope this helps...
Wendi Colby
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy
907 1st NH Turnpike
Northwood, NH 03261
wcolby@coebrown.k12.nh.us

I have been here two years now.  The former librarian
thought the library should be open for the students
period.  Her husband was her assistant.  No children at
home.  No home life.  She would open the doors before
7:30 a.m. and leave after five.  That is still expected
today.  We have a big screen TV (donated) which the
sports enthusiasts expect to watch before school.  They
start arriving right after 7:30.  Kids expect to come
to the library on game nights while they wait for the
bus, or the game to start.
Well, needlesstosay, I have changed things a little.  I
do have a life.  I will stay until 4:30 if pressed.
Sometimes til 5.  But usually 4:05, detention ends
then.

Supplemental pay.  Surely you jest.
Teacher's salary period.  The librarians don't do
anything but read, don't you know that.  That is what
the secretaries tell people.  No planning time.  Have
to fight for a lunch period.  We are on block
scheduling and two lunch periods.  Life is not a bed of
roses.

Our regular hours are 7 until 2:45....we stay open till 3:15 2 days a
week...no pay...rarely is there anyone here.  We're very dependent on
bus
transportation, however.
Carolyn Wandstrat
Splendora High School
Splendora, TX  77372
cwandstr@vonl.com

We are a high school media center with 2 full-time professionals and 3
full-time
assistants in a school of 1780 students.  Our hours are 7 to 5 on Mon.
& Wed., 7
to 7 on Tues. and Thurs. and 7 to 3:45 on Fri.  We are able to keep
longer hours
by staggering the hours of the assistants.  On Tues. one professional
comes in
at 11:30 and works until 7; the other does the same on Thurs.  The
media center
is usually busy from 7 to 5, but the 5 to 7pm period has two or three
students
patrons at the most.  We have been trying the 7pm closing since Jan.,
1998, so
it has had a good chance to "catch on" but hasn't done so.  I might
add that the
media center has a computer lab and internet access so students could
come in
for a variety of reasons.  The period from 5 to 7pm is a great chance
to get
caught up on things without interruption, but I'm having a difficult
time
justifying the loss of assistance to faculty and students on Tues. and
Thurs.
mornings.