From: TnTcha@aol.com
Full-name: TnTcha
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:22:07 EDT
Subject: AR responses
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

Thanks for all of the good advice about AR in the elem. school library.  I
was asked to post hits, and tried but failed. So I will try to sum up what I
learned from all of you who responded.

The majority of you shelve your AR books with the rest of the collection so
that students may practice using the electronic catalog and finding books
where they belong on the shelves. Also, this allows students to see that
their favorite authors have written other books as well!

Most of you put a strip of tape or a sticker on the spine to indicate that
the book is an AR book.  Most of you do not color  code by grade/reading
level.

Everyone has AR on the school network or is about to put AR on the network.

Many schools have students work towards a goal and gives recognition at that
time - for example - button, candy bar, name and picture on bulletin board,
ice cream party. It doesn't seem as if many of your schools have AR stores
for students to spend their points to but something.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to share their knowledge with me!
I really appreciate it.
Helen Sissel
TnTcha@aol.com
Akiva School