I reward individuals - at the end of each month every child that returned
his or her book the entire month is elligible to be in a raffle.  All
names are entered into a box and one is picked.  That child can choose a
prize from my prize drawer (assorted stuff from Oriental Trading Co.)  If
that child was already picked during the school year, we pick another and
they BOTH get prizes.  We pick until there is a NEW winner in the class.
We do this at the end of library time the last class of the month.  It
takes some "bookkeeping" - I use index cards with all kids in the class
llisted.  At the end of  each class, I quickly cross off the names of the
ones who did not return their books.  That way, at the end of the month,
whoever is left is in the raffle.  At the end of the year,  everyone who
was in the raffle every month automatically gets a prize.  I see this as
an incentive to help kids bring back their books.  It works for many.
There will always be the ones who are NEVER in the raffle.  Can't help
it.  It is rare that I have a class where EVERYONE  returns books.  One
year I had such a first grade - more than once they all returned so I
brought in a treat for everyone and they felt really special.  I find it
doesn't take much to have them feel good.  I hope this is clear - I feel
like I've been rambling....
Leah Moskovits, Librarian
Manhattan Day School
New York City