Hello,

Thanks to all who replied to my request on research methods.  Here is the
information I received.

Theresa Gonzalez
Island Park Public Library
tagonzalez@hotmail.com

You might want to review the literature on information literacy skills
and literacy models such as the Big 6, Flip-it and others.

Good Luck
Charlie Makela

I'm taking an integration of library program course right now.  We mentioned
the Big Sic, but I like Barbara Stripling's Research Taxonomy.  she's a lms
in Arkansas that published this in 1988.  I'm planning on using it at my
K-12 school starting this fall.  It's heirarchical--or progressive---it goes
from basic to most elaborate.  I even worked up a power point presentation
on it!!
Laura Mason
I really like the Big6 model for research.  It forces the student to ask
questions to be answered and the notes just fall into place as the student
find the answers to the questions.  I have the students go ahead and answer
in full sentences so that in the end they just need to make a paragraph
using the sentences they have written.
Wanda Nall
I have developed an web site outlining the I-Search approach to research. A
student handout and rubric are included.  Good luck!!

http://home.scottsburg.com/trinkle/isearch.htm

Catherine Trinkle
Do you have a favorite research model, such as the Big 6?  I would make a
point of telling him how effective it is in helping kids organize, and how
important it is for them to know specifically what they are looking for so
they know when they have found it.   I begin by explaining to teachers (or
others) that this is a system which some kids use almost instinctively, but
most students are far too haphazard when it comes to research.  I also
explain that, for the *most* part, it includes all the same steps we always
taught when doing research projects, but with these vital exceptions:  many
do not officially include step 1:"define the information requirements of the
problem" and rarely do you see "evaluation" stop 6.

Maureen S. Irwin