I have tried many ways to get all the overdue books/items in.  In one
building the class who has the most Stars(whatever symbol you want to use)
under their classroom wins an ice cream party.  This is for each of the 4
quarters of the school year.  Another librarian hands out good behavior
coupons for each person in each homeroom per library class, and then when
that class visits the next week the slips are brought out- and one name is
picked to choose from a box with candy and small prizes in it. This is for
behavior only. She use to have a chart with each homeroom listed, and the
homeroom with the most stars won something at the end of the semester.  I
don't remember what. The two buildings I will be in this year I have a
classlist,for each home room, that I mark who is overdue that week, if they
are absent an ABST is put by their name.  At the end of each quarter(I only
do this for grades 1-5) the students who have never been overdue or late
with any library materials receives a peice candy( since I get PTO money, I
try to buy items like tootsie roll pops, and Now and laters).  Then at the
end of the year the students who have never been on the overdue list gets
to choose a new book .  I get these books for all grades by using my
Scholastic points. For the year I include the kindergarten class.  The only
big problem I have had is the parents who interfere.  They call in with an
excuse and think because of this their child should not be on the overdue
list.  I do not except any excuses from the parents-eg. it was left in the
car, and it's my fault not their child's fault, it isn't returned, or  I
(the parent) forgot to put it in their book bag. I can't believe how many
parents will even drive in and bring their book to the library late in the
day and expect this to still allow their child to be in the contest.  I am
considering to discontinue any contest with prizes.  I know I say this
every yeary, but yes I will probably do it again.  I have several students
who have never been overdue yet, and like to brag.  This makes it worth it.

Have fun,
JoAnn Faucett
Elementary librariarn
Oak Creek WI