Not really a hit - because most of my responses were to post a hit!  Seems
we are all interested in helping our children do a good job of showing what
they know.  Thanks to those who did share tips.

A couple people said that their schools encouraged stretching breaks,
allowed children to bring water bottles and/or healthy snacks on test days,
and planned special physical kind of activities for non-test taking times on
those days.

Some sent letters home encouraging rest and good breakfasts.

Dorothy Tissair sent a great suggestion for using the Big 6 steps to help
students with the writing prompts:
>Why not use the Big 6 to help students preplan and write to the prompt.
Admittedly
>they will not have a library or computer from which to draw information
>but --
>    Task Definition -- What is the prompt asking us to write about?
>    Information Seeking Strategies -- Brainstorming, Webbing, etc.
>    Loaction and Access -- What do I know about this?  Can I add anything
>from my imagination?
>    Use of Information -- Prewriting organization -- webbing, pointform
>outline; What is my beginning? Middle? End?
>    Synthesis -- Write a 3-5 paragraph essay fulfilling the task.
>    Evaluation -- How well does my essay meet the requirements of the
>prompt?  Is there anything I can add to make it better? (Why students were
>taught to skip lines when writing.)

Thanks again for the help.
Joan Brown, Librarian
Lancaster Elementary School