On 7/8/1999 bookworm@lightspeed.net wrote:
>Mary Ann and All,
>    I would add Ursula LeGuinn to the list. I found her Earth Sea Trilogy
>fascinating. I understand there is now a fourth in the series. Have any of
>you read it?
>Bob Laramee
>Arvin High School Librarian
>Arvin, CA 93203
>bookworm@lightspeed.net

I too would add Ursula Le Guin - the fourth in the series is in many
ways the most interesting, but is also more of an adult book, at
least in my view.

Other authors whose fantasy books are first rate are Diana Wynne
Jones, whose name came up in the Harry Potter discussion, and Alan
Garner. The latter was published in the US, at least in part, as I
know his Stone Book Quarter won some kind of US award. But his
earlier books - Weirdstone of Brisingamen, Moon of Gomrath, Elidor,
The Owl service - are among my daughter's favourites, and he is
certainly viewed in the UK as one of our most interesting writers for
children. He later moved more into adult books, though Red shift was
published as a children's book just because that was what he was
known for, and it is about teenagers. I've just come across another
by him called Strandloper, which is definitely adult, about a
Cheshire man transported to Australia in 1801 who then lived with the
Aborigines for most or all of the rest of his life. I'm really
looking forward to reading it, though I don't think it will be
particularly easy, as he tends to write in a way which looks simple
but which involves multiple layers of meaning.

I am looking forward to see other people's views of good fantasy
writers. Andre Norton and Tamora Pierce also come to mind.

EB

Elizabeth Bentley
Head of Learning Resources
Northbrook C of E School