      From: Wanda Cuniff <wcuniff@TENET.EDU>
     Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:28:29 -0600

Subject: Hit: Civil War bibliography
     From: Carol Wheat <Dems258@UABDPO.DPO.UAB.EDU>
     Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 07:38:45 -0600

Across Five Aprils - This should work well with gifted 7th, only my highest
students could successfully handle this one, but it is excellent!

Bull Run - Not as challenging, but it offers a wide range of real people
perspectives on the war.

Paul Fleischman has an interesting one "Bull Run". It is short, told in
narratives by 16 different people connected with the Battle--great for
teaching character, point of view etc

A Boy's War - Looks at the involvement of teens in the war.

Lincoln:  A Photobiography

I would recommend Soldier's Heart by Gary Paulsen.  Although short,
this  book is very moving and popular in our school.

Have you read RED CAP by Wisler?  That was great, and I believe he also wrote a
book called DRUMMER OF VICKSBURG, good luck!

An excellent civil war book is Rifles for Waite by Harold Keith. It is a
Newbery Award winner.

Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit - tells of Emma Edmonds - she posed as a man and
became a soldier in the Union army.  She became a spy for them and went into Rebel
camps many times.
Undying Glory - Clinton Cox - tells the story of the Massachusetts 54th Regiment
(the black regiment that fought for the Union Army.

G. Clifton Wisler books.  He
has written several on the subject.  One in particular Red Cap is
excellent.  It is mostly about Andersonville.  Also by him:  Mr.
Lincoln's Drummer and Drummer Boy of Vicksburg.  Also a book called The
Journal of James Edmond Pease from the Dear America Series.

Have you seen the Collier's With Every Drop of Blood?  While the
vocabulary won't be a challenge to a group of TAG kids, the ideas could
be.  The reasons for the war, family, the "glory of war".... and this
book is written from the Southern point of view. Another idea would be
to choose a sci-fi version such as If The South Had Won the War.  I
forget the author at the moment.  It's well done and might spark some
interesting discussion.

 How about John Ransom's Andersonville Diary? I think it is now printed
as an oversized paperback and might cost more for a class set than when it
was pocket sized. Is actually based on a real diary of this teenager that
ended up in Andersonvill

7th grade is perfect for _Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith (Newbery Winner).
Though I haven't read it, _The Slopes of War_ by N. A. Perez is a favorite
with my students.

One book that can be read as a read-aloud is a picture
book for older students called Nettie's Trip South.  It's a travel diary of a
Northern girl who goes South and describes
slavery...thought provoking and a good discussion starter.

If you're familiar with Jim Murphy's books, his book on Gettysburg is one
of the best. It's not a novel, but it sure is a good read.

--------------1D594EB0398B--