LM-Netters,

The Herbst Library at the Urban School of San Francisco (an independent high
school) is increasing its number of computers this fall.  In the past I have
given each computer the name of a "famous" library.  So far we have
Alexandria, Bodleian, Carnegie, Folger, Morgan, Pergamum (also spelled
Pergamom),Ulpia, and Herbst (the name of the main donor for the library
building).

During the 9th grade library orientation, I ask students to figure out the
reason for the names on the computers.  That question starts them researching
and problem solving.  The names also help to direct the students to the
appropriate computer for a particular CD-ROM resource or library skill
activity during the hands-on information access orientation.

I need suggestions for six  or seven more names. I've thought of La
Bibliothèque Nationale de France (but that's rather long) and Library of
Congress (but that gives away the answer to my orientation question). I'd
like names that are one word, that are from libraries with interesting
"stories," and that are fairly easy to research. A neat plus would be to have
a library name from each continent or names that represent a diversity of
cultures.

TIA

Carolyn Karis
Urban School of San Francisco